Apr 5, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
Weird stuff happening at O.Co Coliseum? Well, I’ll be.
The Mariners and Athletics were postponed at O.Co Coliseum in Oakland last night despite nothing but blue skies. While it was an odd sight, the decision was made because the infield just wasn’t safe enough to play on. In fact, Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon told Greg Johns of MLB.com that it was “probably the worst conditions I’ve seen in all my years in baseball.”
The infield was in poor shape because it was not covered by a tarp during a rainstorm Thursday night into Friday morning. According to Athletics vice president of stadium operations David Rinetti, they weren’t expecting as much rain as they ended up getting and they simply failed to get the field ready in time.
“We had information last night that there was going to be a break in the storm,” Rinetti said. “And because of that, we wanted to use that opportunity to help dry out the field. Unfortunately we were wrong on the amount of rain, and we got about a third of an inch of rain last night. We did not have the tarp on the field.
“We got here this morning, the infield was under water, and we did everything possible starting at 7 a.m. to get the field ready for tonight,” he said. “Our grounds crew worked tirelessly to get the field ready, and unfortunately, after we met with the managers and the umpires, it was deemed that the field was not going to be ready to play on tonight.”
The hope is that the field will be playable by 4:05 p.m. ET this afternoon.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 0
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)