Apr 5, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
Weird stuff happening at O.Co Coliseum? Well, I’ll be.
The Mariners and Athletics were postponed at O.Co Coliseum in Oakland last night despite nothing but blue skies. While it was an odd sight, the decision was made because the infield just wasn’t safe enough to play on. In fact, Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon told Greg Johns of MLB.com that it was “probably the worst conditions I’ve seen in all my years in baseball.”
The infield was in poor shape because it was not covered by a tarp during a rainstorm Thursday night into Friday morning. According to Athletics vice president of stadium operations David Rinetti, they weren’t expecting as much rain as they ended up getting and they simply failed to get the field ready in time.
“We had information last night that there was going to be a break in the storm,” Rinetti said. “And because of that, we wanted to use that opportunity to help dry out the field. Unfortunately we were wrong on the amount of rain, and we got about a third of an inch of rain last night. We did not have the tarp on the field.
“We got here this morning, the infield was under water, and we did everything possible starting at 7 a.m. to get the field ready for tonight,” he said. “Our grounds crew worked tirelessly to get the field ready, and unfortunately, after we met with the managers and the umpires, it was deemed that the field was not going to be ready to play on tonight.”
The hope is that the field will be playable by 4:05 p.m. ET this afternoon.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)