Yasiel Puig back in Dodgers’ lineup after benching

Apr 5, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT

Yasiel Puig ap AP

One day after being benched for arriving late to the ballpark, Yasiel Puig is back in the Dodgers’ lineup this afternoon against the Giants.

According to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, Puig will bat leadoff and play right field. Matt Kemp is in center field and Scott Van Slyke will play left as Don Mattingly goes with a righty-heavy lineup against left-hander Madison Bumgarner.

Puig was 45 minutes late for stretching yesterday and arrived hours after most of his teammates. He said after the game that he “didn’t know” the time for stretching was moved up due to the pre-game ceremonies, but took full responsibility and said he was “truly sorry.”

Below is video of Mattingly’s comments from after yesterday’s game:

1. renaado - Apr 5, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Seriously.. Why would he not know the time of stretching of his own team? He’s been there for a year now so how could he not know about it.. Well as long he said he’s sorry it’s alright for me.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM

He hasn’t been in LA for over a year. Seriously, why do you care about his excuse?

Sorry. I keep forgetting. The guy is a cancer. My bad.

• renaado - Apr 5, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Check that almost probably a year now, he debuted on June 3 if i’m correct. Onward to your second statement of course I do care about his excuse because I wan’t him to change positively, especially the statement he said on how he want’s to become a role model Derek Jeter really struck me the most so I’m really looking for him becoming like that. Lastly one question, Is Puig really a cancer for you?

• apkyletexas - Apr 5, 2014 at 7:50 PM

All this breathless Yasiel watching and commentary, and meantime the Dodgers go out and get stomped in back to back home games by the Giants. Priceless.

At least this Dodgers team plays exactly like the town it represents – all show and no substance.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 5, 2014 at 8:03 PM

I see what you’re saying. Because the team isn’t playing well, the city of LA sucks. No doubt an example of your witty repertoire? Yes, style and substance. You know so much about that.

• ch0psuey - Apr 6, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Check your Homerism at the door Thanks Koufasmitzvah.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM

File the end of my comment under Too Much Interwebz.

I happen to think that Puig can be a great ambassador for the game of baseball. My point of others casting doubts on the sincerity of his excuse made is to suggest that I don’t think anyone should need to comment about whether or not the excuse is justified or believable. I don’t even know why a thinking public needs to know that he was benched for being 45 minutes late to an earlier than normal stretch time.

• renaado - Apr 5, 2014 at 4:10 PM

O…kay.. Well if this is what you truly mean then I respect it. And also your File is now signed cleared and ready to go.

2. markofapro - Apr 5, 2014 at 2:09 PM

I’ll sleep better knowing that.

3. skerney - Apr 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Puig = Mouse clicks = $$$.

• ilovegspot - Apr 5, 2014 at 2:35 PM

That about sums it up. If he wasn’t a beast this wouldn’t be news.

4. andreweac - Apr 5, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Mattingly sold out.

5. bbk1000 - Apr 5, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I’m sure it’s been said before….they guy drives too fast, gets busted twice, vows to get someone to drive him around going forward, and now he’s late….

Nice….

6. aceshigh11 - Apr 5, 2014 at 3:47 PM

It’s gonna be a LONG year for the Dodgers if the drama is already pegged at a ’10’ this early in the season.

I know that discordance in the clubhouse doesn’t always automatically equal poor performance (late ’70s Yankees) but it certainly isn’t preferable.

7. slaugin - Apr 5, 2014 at 4:49 PM

What a double standard, Puig doesn’t show up on time for stretching he gets benched. The entire team didn’t show up in time yesterday vs the Giants yet they all play.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 5, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Technically, the Dodgers WERE in uniform.

8. djandujar - Apr 5, 2014 at 5:08 PM

The Dodgers all get paid big bucks to focus on playing baseball. I think they should be able to perform no matter what one other player does. Plain & simple, the media hates black & latino players unless they do exactly what the game’s redneck element want them to do. If the Dodgers lose it is likely not the fault of one player.

9. anxovies - Apr 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM

He is truly evil incarnate. Those glowing red eyes glaring from under the batting helmet say it all.

10. Professor Fate - Apr 5, 2014 at 9:29 PM

The Dodgers should try Puig out on the mound because the pitching’s been horrible the last two games. Not scoring runs is bad enough, but when your pitching gives up 15 runs in two games (at home, no less) you have much bigger worries than whether or not Puig shows up in time for some yoga.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3081)