Baseball’s last undefeated team fell on Sunday

Apr 6, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT

justin verlander tigers logo getty Getty Images

The Tigers entered Sunday afternoon’s affair against the Orioles as baseball’s only without a loss at 4-0, but they are undefeated no more. Starter Justin Verlander pitched well, allowing two runs over eight innings, but was out-dueled by Orioles starter Chris Tillman. The soon-to-be 26-year-old right-hander allowed just one run in 8 1/3 innings and was backed by just enough offense — including an eighth-inning Adam Jones sacrifice fly to break a 1-1 tie, and a ninth-inning Matt Wieters solo home run to add an insurance run — to grab the victory.

Overall, Tillman allowed five hits and a walk while striking out five. The only damage come on a fifth-inning Torii Hunter solo home run. Tommy Hunter got the final two outs of the ninth inning to nail down the win, getting his second save in the process. Victor Martinez was the only Tiger with multiple hits. Similarly, Nick Markakis was the only Oriole with multiple hits.

The Nationals were baseball’s final undefeated team last season, starting out 3-0 before losing 15-0 to the Reds in the fourth game of the season to end the dream.

1. clydeserra - Apr 6, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Is it me, or does it seem like asums left him in too long? I mean, its the second game of the year and he throws 111 pitches? 105 in game one?

Sure he is justin verlander and has been an innings eater, but he is not a rented mule that the Tigers are going to lose next year.

• bender4700 - Apr 6, 2014 at 10:32 PM

If anything Leyland pulled those guys too quickly. The bull pen is better, but still developing and getting their stride. Krol looks promising, Al is Al and will do well, Coke struggled, Joba got it done.

Verlander pitched very well today, regardless of pitch count.

• clydeserra - Apr 6, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Sure he pitched well today, but that is not my point. He is a human (presumably) and will tire at some point. Seems like after the triple (if not before) he is at +/- 100, why push him? its a long season.

2. nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 6, 2014 at 9:44 PM

I don’t know why, but I just had a weird feeling all last week that no team was going to go 162-0 this year.

• johnnysoda - Apr 6, 2014 at 10:36 PM

I didn’t. I mean, I thought this year was gonna be the one- when a team would, for six months, day in and day out, just keep on winning. I guess it wasn’t meant to be.

Well, you know what they say: wait till next year!

3. bender4700 - Apr 6, 2014 at 10:33 PM

So far I like what I see from the Tigers. The starting pitchers have all looked good. Bull pen looks better, offense is well the Tigers offense. Kinsler is making his presence known, as are the other new guys.

Love Brad’s management style. It’s working well so far. Can’t wait to see how their fair in October.

4. historiophiliac - Apr 6, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Bill, you missed the big story from today’s game. We had our first game delay due to technical difficulties with the replay system. Yup, less than a week in and we had to play without replay after the installation of replay. Wahoo! Removing the human element!

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 7, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Chief Wahoo sabotaged the replay system? He must be mad about rampant de-chiefing.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey