Apr 6, 2014, 5:25 PM EST
From beat writer Evan Drellich at the Houston Chronicle:
The Astros center fielder was hospitalized for Friday night before he was released Saturday because of gastroenteritis. The plan was to have him report to Minute Maid Park on Sunday, even if he couldn’t play right away.
Fowler instead will remain at home indefinitely, and it’s unclear if he will be on the trip to Toronto, where the Astros start a three-game series with the Blue Jays on Tuesday.
Gastroenteritis is a stomach infection that carries flu-like symptoms. It’s not serious, but the Astros want to be careful.
“He’s at home resting, and the doctor wanted him to continue to rest,” manager Bo Porter told the Houston media before Sunday afternoon’s game against the Angels. “I’m not going to speak to (whether Fowler goes to Toronto). You don’t know — when you start talking about … a virus running through your body, that takes time. We don’t know how much longer it’s going to be, we just know that the doctors are treating him.”
Fowler was off to a scorching start for his new team, boasting four extra-base hits in three games.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)