Apr 6, 2014, 5:25 PM EST
From beat writer Evan Drellich at the Houston Chronicle:
The Astros center fielder was hospitalized for Friday night before he was released Saturday because of gastroenteritis. The plan was to have him report to Minute Maid Park on Sunday, even if he couldn’t play right away.
Fowler instead will remain at home indefinitely, and it’s unclear if he will be on the trip to Toronto, where the Astros start a three-game series with the Blue Jays on Tuesday.
Gastroenteritis is a stomach infection that carries flu-like symptoms. It’s not serious, but the Astros want to be careful.
“He’s at home resting, and the doctor wanted him to continue to rest,” manager Bo Porter told the Houston media before Sunday afternoon’s game against the Angels. “I’m not going to speak to (whether Fowler goes to Toronto). You don’t know — when you start talking about … a virus running through your body, that takes time. We don’t know how much longer it’s going to be, we just know that the doctors are treating him.”
Fowler was off to a scorching start for his new team, boasting four extra-base hits in three games.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 15
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)