Apr 6, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
From beat writer Evan Drellich at the Houston Chronicle:
The Astros center fielder was hospitalized for Friday night before he was released Saturday because of gastroenteritis. The plan was to have him report to Minute Maid Park on Sunday, even if he couldn’t play right away.
Fowler instead will remain at home indefinitely, and it’s unclear if he will be on the trip to Toronto, where the Astros start a three-game series with the Blue Jays on Tuesday.
Gastroenteritis is a stomach infection that carries flu-like symptoms. It’s not serious, but the Astros want to be careful.
“He’s at home resting, and the doctor wanted him to continue to rest,” manager Bo Porter told the Houston media before Sunday afternoon’s game against the Angels. “I’m not going to speak to (whether Fowler goes to Toronto). You don’t know — when you start talking about … a virus running through your body, that takes time. We don’t know how much longer it’s going to be, we just know that the doctors are treating him.”
Fowler was off to a scorching start for his new team, boasting four extra-base hits in three games.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)