Apr 6, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
Mets left-hander Jon Niese was officially activated from the 15-day disabled list on Saturday night and will make his 2014 regular-season debut in Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Reds. Infielder Wilmer Flores was optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Niese is getting off to a delayed start this season because of elbow inflammation that bothered him for much of spring training. He went 4 2/3 innings in a simulated game last week and should be able to throw around 100 pitches in his debut on Sunday.
The 27-year-old registered a 3.71 ERA and 105 strikeouts in 143 innings last summer for New York.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)