Apr 6, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
Mets left-hander Jon Niese was officially activated from the 15-day disabled list on Saturday night and will make his 2014 regular-season debut in Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Reds. Infielder Wilmer Flores was optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Niese is getting off to a delayed start this season because of elbow inflammation that bothered him for much of spring training. He went 4 2/3 innings in a simulated game last week and should be able to throw around 100 pitches in his debut on Sunday.
The 27-year-old registered a 3.71 ERA and 105 strikeouts in 143 innings last summer for New York.
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 32
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86