Apr 6, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
Mets left-hander Jon Niese was officially activated from the 15-day disabled list on Saturday night and will make his 2014 regular-season debut in Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Reds. Infielder Wilmer Flores was optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Niese is getting off to a delayed start this season because of elbow inflammation that bothered him for much of spring training. He went 4 2/3 innings in a simulated game last week and should be able to throw around 100 pitches in his debut on Sunday.
The 27-year-old registered a 3.71 ERA and 105 strikeouts in 143 innings last summer for New York.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)