Apr 6, 2014, 11:25 PM EST
Entering Sunday night’s nationally broadcast game against the Giants, Matt Kemp last homered on September 24, also against the Giants. Before that? July 21 against the Nationals, the fateful day he injured his ankle on a play at home plate. Kemp, playing in just his third game of the 2014 season, only needed his first two at-bats against Giants starter Matt Cain to notch his first two dingers of the season.
In the second inning, Kemp blasted a 1-0 fastball to left center for a solo shot, putting the Dodgers up 1-0. In the fourth, Kemp drove an 0-1 fastball to right center for a two-run bomb, increasing the Dodgers’ lead to 4-0. He finished 2-for-3 on the night and the Dodgers held on for a 6-2 victory.
One game does not a comeback make, however. Nobody doubts Kemp’s ability to be productive with the bat and in the outfield; they do, however, question his ability to stay healthy over an entire season, a feat he hasn’t accomplished since losing the NL MVP race to Ryan Braun in 2011.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)