Apr 6, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT
As first relayed by Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pirates top pitching prospect Jameson Taillon needs Tommy John reconstructive surgery on his right elbow. The procedure will be performed this week by Dr. David Altchek at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York and will sideline the talented 22-year-old right-hander through the spring of 2015.
Taillon posted a 3.73 ERA and 143 strikeouts in 147 1/3 innings last year between Double-A Altoona and Triple-A Indianapolis, and he was on track to reach the major league level early this season. He was ranked the No. 19 prospect in the game this winter by Baseball Prospectus.
We’ll say it again: Pittsburgh probably should have picked up some starting pitching this offseason.
There isn’t much depth behind No. 5 starter Edinson Volquez, who had a 9.64 ERA this spring.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)