Apr 6, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
As first relayed by Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pirates top pitching prospect Jameson Taillon needs Tommy John reconstructive surgery on his right elbow. The procedure will be performed this week by Dr. David Altchek at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York and will sideline the talented 22-year-old right-hander through the spring of 2015.
Taillon posted a 3.73 ERA and 143 strikeouts in 147 1/3 innings last year between Double-A Altoona and Triple-A Indianapolis, and he was on track to reach the major league level early this season. He was ranked the No. 19 prospect in the game this winter by Baseball Prospectus.
We’ll say it again: Pittsburgh probably should have picked up some starting pitching this offseason.
There isn’t much depth behind No. 5 starter Edinson Volquez, who had a 9.64 ERA this spring.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)