Play of the Day: Sonny Gray fields a line drive that ricochets off of first base

Apr 6, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT

Here’s something you don’t see every day. With one out in the sixth inning, Mariners third baseman Kyle Seager lined a 3-2 fastball down the first base line. The only problem was that the line drive struck the first base bag, ricocheted up, and hung in the air long enough for Sonny Gray to grab it. Gray then stepped on first for the easy out.

Gray capped off the exciting play by running into first base umpire Jim Reynolds. 10/10, would watch again.

1. moogro - Apr 7, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Sometimes even a crappy demon is slimey when you catch it.

• Old Gator - Apr 7, 2014 at 7:22 AM

Just don’t cross the beams and you’ll be fine.

2. Old Gator - Apr 7, 2014 at 7:21 AM

Isn’t this a wonderful game?

3. NatsLady - Apr 7, 2014 at 7:33 AM

The ad is 2 minutes long. I clicked away and never saw the video. My limit is 30 seconds, and that’s for a video I’m actually interested in.

4. jm91rs - Apr 7, 2014 at 8:58 AM

The announcer said if it hit the bag before touching the ground it’s an out because it was caught. Is this true? I guess it’s a situation I’ve never seen before.

• Senor Cardgage - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:50 AM

No, that’s crazy. A catch is a ball that is gloved in flight. In flight “describes a batted, thrown, or pitched ball which has not yet touched
      the ground or some object other than a fielder.” The pitching mound and bases are each some object.

I sincerely believe every announcer should have to take (or test out of) a rules clinic every few years.

• clydeserra - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Its Ray Fosse. He is 5 or so years past his retirement age. He is maddening to listen to. I always hate when the A’s are on national tv because they put him in the radio booth (I am radio only for the A’s ). Unlistenable.

• APBA Guy - Apr 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Harsh, Clyde, harsh :)

But true, unfortunately. Ray used to be a beloved constant in the ever-changing A’s world. It’s pretty clear that he’s missing more and more of the modern game’s nuances now.

• clydeserra - Apr 7, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I wouldn’t mind the play by play so much if he stopped interviewing people.

“I mean, APBA guy, you have contributed so much to my enjoyment of this blog since the Shysterball days, which is of course a blog that was written, and then commented on by you, so well, but to continue to have the success as a commentor that you have had and we all get to enjoy even to this day on the NBC blog really shows how great you and your comments are, so how great does it feel to continue to make so many good comments over the years for us all to enjoy for so long?”

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:36 AM

I need that GIF

6. sandwiches4ever - Apr 7, 2014 at 12:22 PM

You generally don’t see many 1 unassisted grounders, outside of the occasional tag on a slow roller up the line with a tag.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2751)