Apr 6, 2014, 11:34 AM EST
Ryan Braun acknowledged to reporters Friday that the lingering numbness in his right thumb is affecting both his throws and swings, and he was out of the Brewers’ starting lineup on Saturday night against the Red Sox. But he will try to give it a go in Sunday afternoon’s series finale at Fenway Park.
Braun is batting third and playing right field.
Undergoing surgery is not currently a consideration and Braun is hoping to find a form of daily treatment or protective padding that will allow him to play through the thumb injury. Here’s how he described the feeling to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:
“The analogy is if you touch a hot stove, no matter how badly you want to keep your hand there, the natural reaction will be to take your hand off it. That’s kind of what happens every time I make contact, when it gets bad. No matter what I want to do or try to do, I can’t keep two hands on the bat.”
That sounds like it could be a serious problem. Braun was wanting to make a good impression this season after missing the final 65 games of the 2013 campaign for his involvement in Biogenesis.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)