Ryan Braun back in Brewers’ lineup on Sunday, will attempt to play through right thumb injury

Apr 6, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT

ryan braun getty Getty Images

Ryan Braun acknowledged to reporters Friday that the lingering numbness in his right thumb is affecting both his throws and swings, and he was out of the Brewers’ starting lineup on Saturday night against the Red Sox. But he will try to give it a go in Sunday afternoon’s series finale at Fenway Park.

Braun is batting third and playing right field.

Undergoing surgery is not currently a consideration and Braun is hoping to find a form of daily treatment or protective padding that will allow him to play through the thumb injury. Here’s how he described the feeling to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

“The analogy is if you touch a hot stove, no matter how badly you want to keep your hand there, the natural reaction will be to take your hand off it. That’s kind of what happens every time I make contact, when it gets bad. No matter what I want to do or try to do, I can’t keep two hands on the bat.”

That sounds like it could be a serious problem. Braun was wanting to make a good impression this season after missing the final 65 games of the 2013 campaign for his involvement in Biogenesis.

1. racksie - Apr 6, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I think there is something you can take for that…

2. NYTolstoy - Apr 6, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I was very interested to see how he performed this year after the whole biogensis scandel. But alas it looks like he won’t be a 100% this year.

3. stoutfiles - Apr 6, 2014 at 1:13 PM

He didn’t have any problem holding on to his PEDs though.

4. tmdill18 - Apr 6, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Karma is a …

5. lifer124 - Apr 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Quick, think of a clever line to make this about PEDs somehow and let everyone know that you’re better than Ryan Braun.

• happytwinsfan - Apr 6, 2014 at 1:44 PM

sorry, but i got nutting

• racksie - Apr 6, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I did. And I may not be better at baseball than Ryan Braun, but I am better at life, than Ryan Braun. Just for the fact that I have never been caught doing something, not just against the rules, but illegal, then blamed another guy for it, cost him his job, and smugly proclaimed I was completely innocent, and have been vindicated, because,obviously that guy who collected my urine, tainted it, and made me look guilty,when in fact I wasn’t. Then it turned out I was a lying d-bag. Does that work for you? Also refer to my earlier statement. And I am fairly certain, Ryan Braun will never achieve the same level,of success he had before was found out to be a shameless cheat, and liar.

• nightman13 - Apr 6, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Umm actually the collector cost himself his own job by breaking the chain of custody. That is why he got fired. Also, collecting piss was a part time job, he has another full time job. But other than that, you were spot on.

6. shaggytoodle - Apr 6, 2014 at 2:31 PM

I really wish the world was ran by people that hurry to Braun posts so to make their PED comments, because it would make it a so much better place, because its quite obvious that they are perfect and never made a mistake in their life.

We could all learn a lot from them.

• zackd2 - Apr 6, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Making a mistake v. Purposely breaking rules to get an advantage over your competition, lying about it when you got caught, get caught again, apologize for getting caught.

Not the same situation

• jxegh - Apr 6, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I wish the world was run by people who would knowingly cheat and lie and then holds a press conference to tell everyone they don’t cheat and lie and say everyone else cheats and lies and then gets caught cheating and lying and then has a public relations firm tell them how to react to getting caught cheating and lying and then says nobody’s perfect.

I teach my children this lesson everyday…….

• racksie - Apr 6, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Yeah I never lied about getting caught and cost a guy his job. You know, just to protect my reputation. That is the difference. You cheese lovers are all the same. Sigh….

• racksie - Apr 6, 2014 at 3:45 PM

And calling what Braun did a “mistake” is seriously delusional. That was not a mistake, but an informed, calculated decision, to break the rules, and the law. And then a calculated, and informed decision to call a press conference, and lie about it. You know, until he got caught, making the same “mistake” again.

7. shaggytoodle - Apr 6, 2014 at 4:35 PM

while u are right about it not being a minor mistake… he fudged it up pretty good.

I understand why people will question if he’s clean and honest, and that he’s got jeers and stuff coming he earned it.

I just think the people post PED comments to stroke their ego, arent any better than Braun. I think everyone should move forward.

• jxegh - Apr 6, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Did your last sentence come from the “Braun’s how to get over a PED scandal” book?

Guys like Giambi and Pettitte who were implicated and faced up to the charges can move forward. F.P. Santangelo had a talk show in SF when his name came out in the Mitchell Report and he stood up like a man, answered every question, listened to all the criticism and sincerely apologized. He deserves a second chance. Weasels like Braun do not.

8. shaggytoodle - Apr 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM

If MLB didn’t have leaks like strainer… Brauns whole appeal process wouldn’t have played out in the media.. all sides ffudged up a bit. No one would have heard about that stuff.

Yes braun messed up big time. He served his suspension. How about the Brewers pitching this year they have done good so far and sweeping the sawx @ fenway….oh that’s right u guys are still hung up on last season….

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate