Apr 6, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Zimmerman sat out Sunday’s game against the Braves, but pinch-hit in the eighth inning. Manager Matt Williams explained why:
“Swinging is fine. The issue he’s got is probably throwing overload. He throws a lot and he works at it really hard so it may be a little overload at this point,” Williams said.
Williams also talked about potentially lowering Zimmerman’s workload in fielding drills.
On Saturday night, Zimmerman fielded an Andrelton Simmons ground ball, but made a very awkward-looking throw to first base, exemplifying the third baseman’s shoulder discomfort. He had off-season shoulder surgery in 2012, but he has yet to rediscover his throwing mechanics. Zimmerman may eventually require a move to first base, but Williams said, “I envision him playing third base.”
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29