Apr 6, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
From Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald comes word that the Red Sox have placed third baseman Will Middlebrooks on the 15-day disabled list with a Grade 1 right calf strain. Brock Holt was recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket in a corresponding 25-man roster move and will be at Fenway Park on Sunday.
The Red Sox did not consider calling up top infield prospect Garin Cecchini, who is off to a great start offensively this year in his first taste of the Triple-A level but needs a little more defensive seasoning.
Jonathan Herrera and Holt will share time at third base while Middlebrooks is out.
Calf strains can sometimes take four weeks to fully recover from, though this one seems minor.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (88)