Apr 6, 2014, 12:18 PM EST
From Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald comes word that the Red Sox have placed third baseman Will Middlebrooks on the 15-day disabled list with a Grade 1 right calf strain. Brock Holt was recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket in a corresponding 25-man roster move and will be at Fenway Park on Sunday.
The Red Sox did not consider calling up top infield prospect Garin Cecchini, who is off to a great start offensively this year in his first taste of the Triple-A level but needs a little more defensive seasoning.
Jonathan Herrera and Holt will share time at third base while Middlebrooks is out.
Calf strains can sometimes take four weeks to fully recover from, though this one seems minor.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)