Apr 6, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
From Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald comes word that the Red Sox have placed third baseman Will Middlebrooks on the 15-day disabled list with a Grade 1 right calf strain. Brock Holt was recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket in a corresponding 25-man roster move and will be at Fenway Park on Sunday.
The Red Sox did not consider calling up top infield prospect Garin Cecchini, who is off to a great start offensively this year in his first taste of the Triple-A level but needs a little more defensive seasoning.
Jonathan Herrera and Holt will share time at third base while Middlebrooks is out.
Calf strains can sometimes take four weeks to fully recover from, though this one seems minor.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (92)