Apr 6, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
From Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald comes word that the Red Sox have placed third baseman Will Middlebrooks on the 15-day disabled list with a Grade 1 right calf strain. Brock Holt was recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket in a corresponding 25-man roster move and will be at Fenway Park on Sunday.
The Red Sox did not consider calling up top infield prospect Garin Cecchini, who is off to a great start offensively this year in his first taste of the Triple-A level but needs a little more defensive seasoning.
Jonathan Herrera and Holt will share time at third base while Middlebrooks is out.
Calf strains can sometimes take four weeks to fully recover from, though this one seems minor.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)