Apr 6, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
From Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald comes word that the Red Sox have placed third baseman Will Middlebrooks on the 15-day disabled list with a Grade 1 right calf strain. Brock Holt was recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket in a corresponding 25-man roster move and will be at Fenway Park on Sunday.
The Red Sox did not consider calling up top infield prospect Garin Cecchini, who is off to a great start offensively this year in his first taste of the Triple-A level but needs a little more defensive seasoning.
Jonathan Herrera and Holt will share time at third base while Middlebrooks is out.
Calf strains can sometimes take four weeks to fully recover from, though this one seems minor.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)