Apr 6, 2014, 11:40 PM EDT
On Saturday against the Giants, Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig injured his thumb diving head-first into first base. Puig underwent X-rays but the team did not announce results until Sunday night. Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times reports that Puig has been diagnosed with a strained ligament in his left thumb and is day-to-day.
In the third inning against Madison Bumgarner on Saturday, Puig hit a ground ball up the middle, forcing shortstop Brandon Crawford to range far to his left. Crawford wheeled and fired but pulled Brandon Belt off of the first base bag. Puig, though, sensed it would be a close play and dove head-first in attempt to give himself an advantage (though such dive attempts typically hinder, not help, in that regard). After the umpire ruled him safe, Puig remained on the ground in pain. After getting up, Puig was standing on first base, doubled over in pain. However, he stayed in the game and finished 1-for-4.
Fortunately for Puig, the Dodgers have an off-day on Monday, so he could return to game action on Tuesday against the Tigers.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)