Apr 6, 2014, 11:40 PM EST
On Saturday against the Giants, Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig injured his thumb diving head-first into first base. Puig underwent X-rays but the team did not announce results until Sunday night. Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times reports that Puig has been diagnosed with a strained ligament in his left thumb and is day-to-day.
In the third inning against Madison Bumgarner on Saturday, Puig hit a ground ball up the middle, forcing shortstop Brandon Crawford to range far to his left. Crawford wheeled and fired but pulled Brandon Belt off of the first base bag. Puig, though, sensed it would be a close play and dove head-first in attempt to give himself an advantage (though such dive attempts typically hinder, not help, in that regard). After the umpire ruled him safe, Puig remained on the ground in pain. After getting up, Puig was standing on first base, doubled over in pain. However, he stayed in the game and finished 1-for-4.
Fortunately for Puig, the Dodgers have an off-day on Monday, so he could return to game action on Tuesday against the Tigers.
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 2
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 22
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 22
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)