Apr 7, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
According to Brian McTaggart of MLB.com, the Astros will place reliever Matt Albers on the paternity leave list prior to tomorrow’s game against the Blue Jays. Josh Zeid will be called up from Triple-A Oklahoma City to replace him on the active roster.
Albers and his wife are expecting their first child. The 31-year-old right-hander is permitted to be away from the team for 24-72 hours, so he should be back later this week.
Albers, a Houston native, joined the Astros over the winter on a one-year, $2.45 million contract. He has thrown 4 1/3 scoreless innings with six strikeouts and no walks thus far.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 54
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 34
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 213
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (213)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)