David Ortiz ruined selfies for everyone at the White House

Apr 7, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Ortiz Obama

Thanks, Big Papi. Now if Benin’s president Yayi Boni comes to visit, he’s going to have keep his iPhone in his pocket:

Senior adviser Dan Pfeiffer told “Face the Nation” on Sunday that presidential selfies may be banned after that shot, a feel-good moment that later appeared to be part of a promotion for Samsung.

“Well, [President Obama] obviously didn’t know anything about Samsung’s connection to this,” Pfeiffer said, “And perhaps maybe this will be the end of all selfies.”

In other news, I want A-Rod to come back next year, the 2015 Yankees to win the World Series, and have him take a selfie with Obama the following spring. Then everyone will forget Ortiz ever did it and spend years talking about how awful it was for A-Rod to do it.

1. renaado - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:54 AM

This is the most discussed topic in South Korea knowing they are the makers of Samsung. Ytnnews24,Tvchosun01,Mbcnews news stations and heck even both MBCentertainment and SBSculture even brought this up there.

• aresachaela - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I didn’t know you watch Korean Tv stations Ren.

• renaado - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:41 AM

As long it’s Baseball related i’m all for it whether it’s Korean, Japan, Taiwan, Filipino or whatever as long as Baseball is in the topic.

2. ereed1286 - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I think the thing that “ruined” this picture the most is the fact that Edward Mujica is shown when he in fact LOST in the World Series TO the Red Sox.

Not to mention that he didn’t pitch a single inning that series.

I’m a diehard Cardinals fan, and even I shook my head when I saw the Chief in there.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:31 AM

What are they going to do: Hey team, let’s get on the bus to the White House! Not you Mujica, go back to the hotel. What about Sizemore, or any other guys who were not on the Red Sox last year?

3. connormyboy - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Thank you for doing that White House most impressive thing you done it awhile

• skids003 - Apr 7, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Amen

4. rbj1 - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:13 AM

It’s been a long standing policy of the White House that presidents do not do commercial endorsements. It is a policy that transcends political parties. Ortiz doing this as a commercial promotion violates that policy.

• cur'68 - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I think this was all Samsung’s doing. Ortiz took the photo but the phone was given to him by Samsung as an endorsement deal. It was Samsung that came along after the photo went out that said “This is a promotion”. Ortiz had no part in that and has said he never intended that when he took it. He was just using his phone like anyone would.

• renaado - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Could be, but a possibility nonetheless. From what I’ve heard from Korean news outlets this kind of strategy was possibly done by the owners who are making it from South Korea in order for them to beat the company of giants that were making mobile phone devices there.

• cur'68 - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I am sure Ortiz will launch one of his patented investigations into this. That’ll clear it all up in a hurry.

• renaado - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Exactly what I sayin cur68. Ortiz nor the Redsox organization have anything to do with this. The phone itself and the manufacturer are makin it a huge talk over there so many are speculating the Samsung organization are the one’s behind this.

• rbj1 - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:41 AM

But cur, doesn’t David have an endorsement deal with Samsung? You have an endorsement deal with a company, use their product, and you don’t think the company is going to capitalize on that? sorry, but David’s too media savvy to be that naive.

• cur'68 - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I’m pretty certain that at the time the last thing he had on his mind was his “endorsement deal”.

Why do people always assume the worst about others? He’s meeting The President of the United States. I’m pretty sure he’s thinking “DAMN!” and not “How can I help Samsung make a buck out of this”. Jeez.

• renaado - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Any sites you can give me for that rbj1? If you can give me at least just only one, I’ll try checking the Tvchosun01 and other news stations from Korea again to see which one is stating facts here.

5. Jason @ IIATMS - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:27 AM

But what about the children?!?

• renaado - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM

They won’t understand any of it anyways XD.

• historiophiliac - Apr 7, 2014 at 1:52 PM

They’re wondering who those old guys are. Who wants 2 look @ old ppl. Gross!

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Are you suggesting that Ortiz and ARod could be accused of the same thing, yet be treated differently by the press about it? I find that hard to believe.

7. shaggylocks - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Way to ruin it for everyone, Samsung.

• renaado - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:06 AM

SAMSUNG Sucks. So as there Lions team, I’d rather root for the crappy Hanwha Eagles than them !

8. chaser44 - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM

both guys in the pic are suspect and need to be investigated

• renaado - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM

…I’m gettin the picture that your not referring to both Obama nor Ortiz.

9. djandujar - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Ortiz’ crimes hardly match the crimes of Obama (or Bush for that matter, just so you know I’m not a redneck).

• thomas844 - Apr 7, 2014 at 12:24 PM

How would criticizing Obama make someone a redneck?

• 18thstreet - Apr 7, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Nah, you’re just hijacking a nonpolitical post with a political observation. We all know it’s possible for people of any political stripe to do this.

10. scatterbrian - Apr 7, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Selfies were already on life support when Ellen killed them.

11. stlouis1baseball - Apr 7, 2014 at 1:21 PM

From seeing the posts of Cur and renaado my take on this is very clear.
    Everything Ortiz does is genuine, straight from the heart and the man is above reproach.

• renaado - Apr 7, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Nah.. Just wanting to make sure on who’s the one makin facts there, I really just don’t want anyone pointin at somebody on whose to blame because of false accusations.

12. sportsdrenched - Apr 7, 2014 at 3:10 PM

That pic maybe the end of selfies? Good.

13. mikhelb - Apr 7, 2014 at 3:33 PM

How can we not believe David Ortíz? He has never lied about anything and when confronted with the truth he always accepts it and doesn’t get phone-smashing-angry about it, and if needed he conducts an investigation and subsecuent expedite explanation. And considering his past, he will cut ties with Samsung like he cut ties with the steroid dealer banned by MLB although he still trains with him and gets his special dominican milkshakes but thats not the issue here.

14. sawxalicious - Apr 8, 2014 at 3:01 AM

I’m a Sox fan and very happy to have Ortiz on the lineup. I don’t have any problem with Ortiz sneaking in a selfie for an endorsement deal. However, Ortiz has said this was unplanned and not meant as a money-making stunt for Samsung, contrary to how Samsung portrayed it. The ONLY way I could believe Ortiz is if he stepped away from his endorsement deal with Samsung out of principle unless Samsung comes out and says they hijacked a spontaneous moment for commercial gain. Somehow I don’t see either of those things happening…

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3919)