David Robertson has a groin strain, is heading for the disabled list

Apr 7, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT

When the ninth inning started with the Yankees up 4-2, you’d expect to see David Robertson take the hill. Nope: we got Shawn Kelley. Who did fine, of course. A nine-pitch save. But why no Dave Robertson? Here’s why:

Robertson’s groin injury happened Sunday, apparently, but he didn’t mention it to manager Joe Girardi until he came in today and was still sore. He got the save yesterday, allowing one hit. Now he’s out of commission for at least 15 days. Could be more, of course, as groin injuries can be tricky.

Whether Kelley will be the closer in the meantime or whether it’ll be someone else is unknown. Indeed, Joe Girardi said he wasn’t yet sure.

1. sdelmonte - Apr 7, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Yankees fans, take heart. At least this isn’t Tommy John surgery.

2. larrymahnken - Apr 7, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I wonder if anyone’s tried to talk Rivera into sticking around for a couple of weeks after throwing the first pitch today.

3. mikhelb - Apr 7, 2014 at 5:03 PM

In the past two seasons he has had that same injury though I think it is the first time he lands on the DL because of that (the other two i remember were labeled: being tired).

Yankees had the chance to sign Joakim Soria two or three years ago at a discount when Soria reached to them and he was denied a chance (they would later sign other injured players).

Maybe Aceves will be called up, but I doubt it because he would have to be put on waivers and yanks wont do that.

4. yankeesfanlen - Apr 7, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Probably the only good that comes from this is it’s no longer possible to send The Fat Toad in for the ninth- or anything else.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 7, 2014 at 5:43 PM

1) Curses! I would have been very happy if Chamberlain pitched in the 9th for the Yankees.

2) The Yankee injuries seem to be piling up rather quickly.

• cackalackyank - Apr 7, 2014 at 8:40 PM

2) Quickly, yes. But in the case of Teixeira hardly unexpected. (At least by me.)
        1) As far as Chamberlain goes he is the Tigers problem now. Which should be source of light and hope to fans all across the AL Central.

• pisano - Apr 7, 2014 at 6:00 PM

len… thank God that fat drunk is out of NY, he’s the Tigers problem now. Kelly can do the job, or it’ll be closer by committee, but they’ll get through it.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 7, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Kelly certainly pitched well today.

5. olaffek - Apr 7, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Yankees toast

• lazlosother - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:35 PM

I love toast. Especially with ham and cheese between it. Now you’ve made me hungry. Curse you!

6. historiophiliac - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:42 PM

I came here for some groin strain jokes. You have sorely disappointed me, gentlemen.

• nbjays - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:02 AM

And I came here to hear you proclaim “DOOM!”… and you let me down, too. Just like a woman…

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2014 at 10:02 AM

There’s no “Doom!” for The Captain’s Farewell Tour.

7. NYTolstoy - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Actually I wasn’t surprised when he didn’t come in at the 9th since he pitched 3 straight games and probably needed a day off. Though now I’m surprised to hear his headed to the DL.

8. stackers1 - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:19 AM

I’d like to see them try Betances in the closer role. He might just have the mentality to do the job.

9. leshon42 - Apr 8, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Kelley is Da Man !! GO PEAY !!

A managerial overanalysis epidemic