Apr 7, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
When the ninth inning started with the Yankees up 4-2, you’d expect to see David Robertson take the hill. Nope: we got Shawn Kelley. Who did fine, of course. A nine-pitch save. But why no Dave Robertson? Here’s why:
Robertson groin strain, going on DL #Yankees
— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) April 7, 2014
Robertson’s groin injury happened Sunday, apparently, but he didn’t mention it to manager Joe Girardi until he came in today and was still sore. He got the save yesterday, allowing one hit. Now he’s out of commission for at least 15 days. Could be more, of course, as groin injuries can be tricky.
Whether Kelley will be the closer in the meantime or whether it’ll be someone else is unknown. Indeed, Joe Girardi said he wasn’t yet sure.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 17
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29