Martin Maldonado made a really, really good play

Apr 7, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT

Martin Maldonado is the Brewers’ backup catcher behind top-notch starter Jonathan Lucroy, so he doesn’t play much, but when he does get into the game sometimes he makes ridiculously good plays like this one yesterday against the Red Sox:

The runner was going, the pitch was a breaking ball in the dirt … and it wasn’t close.

1. dirtyharry1971mom - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:21 AM

WOW

• proudlycanadian - Apr 7, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Your screen name made my day. Earlier this morning dirtyharry1971 reported that he just had 2 meetings with his parole board and that he will consequently be away for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, his “vacation” will be short

• cur'68 - Apr 7, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I hope you beat his azz

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 7, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Harry’s Mom:
      I have wanted to meet you for quite some time. I have some questions.
      I thank you for your patience in advance.

1) Did you (or do you) breast feed Harry? Cause’ this might explain a few things.
      2) And if you no longer breast feed him…does he take a binky?
      3) If he does take a binky…would you mind making sure he never goes without it?
      Harry is hard to be around when he doens’t have his binky. Little bastard gets down right ornery.
      4) He has been gone for a while. I realize this was due to him being in intensive potty training. How much longer do you think until he is fully potty trainged?
      5) Not a question…more of a statement. You. Are. One. Strong. Woman.

All hail Harry’s Mom!

2. mvp43 - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Unreal……… just picking the ball out of the dirt can be an issue for some catchers.

3. pilonflats - Apr 7, 2014 at 12:03 PM

it great to see a video clip without having to watch an ad first

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 7, 2014 at 2:45 PM

What pilon said!

4. padraighansen - Apr 7, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong – but this wasn’t even included in “SportsCenter’s Top Plays” segment, was it?……He asks, suddenly remembering that “Chicks – and ratings – dig the long ball”……

5. timmmah10 - Apr 7, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Damn, and he threw it on the money. Impressive.

6. Francisco (FC) - Apr 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Poor Herrera, the guy doesn’t really steal all that often, and in one of those rare times he gets a fantastic jump, the catcher guns him down. Could have been stolen base #15 for his career, instead it’s caught stealing #11.

7. shaggytoodle - Apr 7, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Maldonado has a cannon for an arm, this play was impressive, there was also a really smart base running play with guys on 1st and 2nd for the Brewers, the Sox catcher made a snap throw to 1st to try to pick the guy off and Roberts I believe was on 2nd made a dash for 3rd allowing the Brewers to cash in an insurance run.

The Brewers are playing better than I thought they would this year. I thought their bats would have to keep them in games. They are pitching great, and hopefully they can grind out a dozen wins in their first 20 games, they play over 75% of them against teams with 94 wins last year, that would be impressive.

8. sophiethegreatdane - Apr 7, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Great play.

I love baseball.

9. brewcrewchamps - Apr 7, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Is it too soon to be excited about them this year?

I didn’t expect a whole lot but they’re playing well in every aspect…thus far at least.

• shaggytoodle - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I think its fair to be excited, they haven’t really got the bats going yet, especially manufacturing runs. Yo’ is pitching like a true Ace, Besides, you never know when a season can turn south, so enjoy it while its good.

10. disgracedfury - Apr 7, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Puerto Rican catcher are the best.

11. ptfu - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Somewhere, Benito Santiago is happy.

Orioles turn AL East on its head