Apr 7, 2014, 11:47 PM EDT
UPDATE: Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Infante received stitches and is undergoing tests to determine whether his jaw is broken. It is feared that he may have suffered a concussion.
10:50 p.m. ET: Scary moment in Kansas City this evening, as Royals second baseman Omar Infante was hit in the face by a pitch from Rays right-hander Heath Bell in the bottom of the seventh inning. You can see the video here, but it’s not an easy watch.
The pitch appeared to hit Infante in the jaw/chin area. According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, he was left bloodied and walked off the field with help from trainers. The team should provide an update soon.
Infante, 32, signed a four-year, $30.25 million contract with the Royals during the offseason.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 48
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)