Apr 7, 2014, 11:47 PM EDT
UPDATE: Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Infante received stitches and is undergoing tests to determine whether his jaw is broken. It is feared that he may have suffered a concussion.
10:50 p.m. ET: Scary moment in Kansas City this evening, as Royals second baseman Omar Infante was hit in the face by a pitch from Rays right-hander Heath Bell in the bottom of the seventh inning. You can see the video here, but it’s not an easy watch.
The pitch appeared to hit Infante in the jaw/chin area. According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, he was left bloodied and walked off the field with help from trainers. The team should provide an update soon.
Infante, 32, signed a four-year, $30.25 million contract with the Royals during the offseason.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)