Apr 7, 2014, 11:47 PM EDT
UPDATE: Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Infante received stitches and is undergoing tests to determine whether his jaw is broken. It is feared that he may have suffered a concussion.
10:50 p.m. ET: Scary moment in Kansas City this evening, as Royals second baseman Omar Infante was hit in the face by a pitch from Rays right-hander Heath Bell in the bottom of the seventh inning. You can see the video here, but it’s not an easy watch.
The pitch appeared to hit Infante in the jaw/chin area. According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, he was left bloodied and walked off the field with help from trainers. The team should provide an update soon.
Infante, 32, signed a four-year, $30.25 million contract with the Royals during the offseason.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)