Apr 7, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
UPDATE: Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Infante received stitches and is undergoing tests to determine whether his jaw is broken. It is feared that he may have suffered a concussion.
10:50 p.m. ET: Scary moment in Kansas City this evening, as Royals second baseman Omar Infante was hit in the face by a pitch from Rays right-hander Heath Bell in the bottom of the seventh inning. You can see the video here, but it’s not an easy watch.
The pitch appeared to hit Infante in the jaw/chin area. According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, he was left bloodied and walked off the field with help from trainers. The team should provide an update soon.
Infante, 32, signed a four-year, $30.25 million contract with the Royals during the offseason.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)