Apr 7, 2014, 11:47 PM EDT
UPDATE: Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Infante received stitches and is undergoing tests to determine whether his jaw is broken. It is feared that he may have suffered a concussion.
10:50 p.m. ET: Scary moment in Kansas City this evening, as Royals second baseman Omar Infante was hit in the face by a pitch from Rays right-hander Heath Bell in the bottom of the seventh inning. You can see the video here, but it’s not an easy watch.
The pitch appeared to hit Infante in the jaw/chin area. According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, he was left bloodied and walked off the field with help from trainers. The team should provide an update soon.
Infante, 32, signed a four-year, $30.25 million contract with the Royals during the offseason.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47