Ryan Cook rejoins A’s after shoulder injury

Apr 7, 2014, 10:47 AM EST

Ryan Cook Getty Getty Images

Oakland has another option if closer Jim Johnson continues to struggle, activating Ryan Cook from the disabled list after the right-hander missed the first week of the season with a strained shoulder.

Cook has been one of the best setup men in the league since the A’s acquired him from the Diamondbacks in 2012, posting a 2.30 ERA and 147 strikeouts in 141 innings. He also has some closing experience and definitely has closer-caliber raw stuff.

For now he’ll slide back into a late-inning setup role in what has the potential to be one of the best, deepest bullpens in baseball if Johnson can get his act together.

Announcement: Hardball Talk‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Monday night’s MLB games. It’s just $2 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on MondayHere’s the FanDuel link.

1. clydeserra - Apr 7, 2014 at 11:02 AM

He was the closer for a time in 2012 when Balfour faltered. In fact, he was the 2012 west division champions only all star representative because SAVES!

• aceinthehole12 - Apr 7, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I love Cookie but he struggled in the second half closing, I like him better in the 8th and 9th in a non save situation.

2. APBA Guy - Apr 7, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I agree with both you guys above. Cook will be a useful alternative to Johnson while he works on keeping the ball down, and I prefer him in a set up role since he has struggled himself as a closer.

• clydeserra - Apr 7, 2014 at 2:27 PM

frankly, they all look set uppy to me. Abad has been a surprise. Doolittle isn’t missing as many bats. and Cook was a rollercoaster last year.

3. APBA Guy - Apr 7, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Yeah, I hear you. I’m not crazy about what I’ve seen of Gregerson so far. He nibbles a lot, kind of like a right-handed Jamie Moyer.

1. M. Upton (2407)