Apr 7, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Oakland has another option if closer Jim Johnson continues to struggle, activating Ryan Cook from the disabled list after the right-hander missed the first week of the season with a strained shoulder.
Cook has been one of the best setup men in the league since the A’s acquired him from the Diamondbacks in 2012, posting a 2.30 ERA and 147 strikeouts in 141 innings. He also has some closing experience and definitely has closer-caliber raw stuff.
For now he’ll slide back into a late-inning setup role in what has the potential to be one of the best, deepest bullpens in baseball if Johnson can get his act together.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Monday night’s MLB games. It’s just $2 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)