Apr 7, 2014, 5:35 PM EST
Nunez was once viewed by some people as the heir apparent for Derek Jeter in New York, but he isn’t a good enough defender to play shortstop regularly and with a lifetime .692 OPS isn’t a good enough hitter to be an asset at third base regularly. For now he’ll head to Triple-A for the Twins, but expect to see Nunez in Minnesota at some point this season in a part-time role.
Sulbaran went from the Dodgers to the Twins in exchange for light-hitting backup catcher Drew Butera last season. He’s not considered a top prospect–before this season I ranked him as the 28th-best prospect in the Twins’ farm system–but had a lot of success at low Single-A last year and is certainly a decent enough return for the 26-year-old Nunez (and before that for Butera).
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)