Watch the rebuild of the West Michigan Whitecaps’ ballpark in 30 seconds

Apr 7, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

On January 3, Fifth Third Field, the home of the Class-A West Michigan Whitecaps, caught fire. Almost all of the first base side was destroyed as smoke and flames shot high into the sky that day, with all of the carnage captured on video. And it wasn’t pretty at all:

Today, a much more uplifting sight. The ballpark being rebuilt in 30 seconds via time-elapse video:

Ready in time for their hope opener tomorrow night against Wisconsin.

Play ball.

1. rbj1 - Apr 7, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Even more remarkable given how brutal winter was in these parts.

• historiophiliac - Apr 7, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I forget how many inches my uncle said they got, but it was ridiculous. I swear, in the future, we will all have to become semi-nomadic.

• paperlions - Apr 7, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Well, yeah, but that will be because overpopulation combined with irresponsible stewardship leads to catastrophic societal infrastructure collapse, not because of a little extra snow.

• historiophiliac - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:08 PM

If the summers stay so hot, I’m gonna have to get on that marry a Canadian website so I can have someplace cool to go.

• weaselpuppy - Apr 7, 2014 at 7:05 PM

120 inches for the season in Grand Rapids where the park is…man….it sucked big time….I was driving north on US-131 as the park was burning, taking pictures, and I was thinking no way they are ready for opening day because of the conditions….

Lew Chamberlain and crew are awesome….can’t wait to hear Bob Wells’ voice on the mic doing the on field stuff again…

2. Caught Looking - Apr 7, 2014 at 3:56 PM

After the fire in January, it was called Three Fifths Ballpark.

3. jwbiii - Apr 7, 2014 at 4:00 PM

It’s even more fun if you play this while watching.

• weaselpuppy - Apr 7, 2014 at 7:07 PM

I thought they were using the background guitar from Boston’s ‘Smokin”…sounds lie it but not quite….would have been a nice touch.

The local billboard advertising form the team has a slightly singed home plate being dusted off with the caption “Never In Doubt”

4. Minoring In Baseball - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:21 PM

The Whitecaps organization worked hard, and Opening Night is success in West Michigan. I’ve been covering the story from the beginning.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4157)