Apr 7, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Hanson is 27 years old and just a few seasons removed from being one of the best starters in baseball for the Braves, but his decline has been incredibly rapid and injuries have sapped his once-dominant raw stuff.
Last season for the Angels he had a 5.42 ERA and just 6.9 strikeouts per nine innings, and this spring he coughed up 11 runs in 14 frames for the Rangers before being cut. It’s a no-risk move for the White Sox, however, and for now they’ll stash Hanson at Triple-A as organizational depth.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)