And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights

Apr 8, 2014, 6:13 AM EDT

Yoenis Cespedes, Sam Fuld, Josh Reddick Yoenis Cespedes, Sam Fuld, Josh Reddick

Athletics 8, Twins 3: These guys just wear you out. Yoenis Cespedes, Brandon Moss, Derek Norris, Jed Lowrie. Just no real breaks and they all just grind on you. Kind of like those 90s Yankees teams in a lot of ways. Not the big-bopping bombers of the A-Rod years, but the Bernie/Tino Martinez/Scott Brosius Yankees. When you look at them and say “OK, I should be able to get these guys out,” but you just can’t because no one in the lineup is an easy out.

Angels 9, Astros 1: Child’s play for C.J. Wilson, who gave up one run in eight innings. Raul Ibanez drove in three. Basically, he and LaTroy Hawkins have to keep on doing what they’re doing, because they’re older than me and as long as there are dudes older than me still making it work as major leaguers I won’t be old yet. I tell myself.

Yankees 4, Orioles 2: Hiroki Kuroda was sharp. Jeter loafed, but he’s Jeter, so we’ll let that slide.

Cardinals 5, Reds 3: A good outing from Michael Wacha and a three-run double from Yadier Molina in the first made for a good home opener. Not to pick on him because there were many failures by the Reds here, but it’s worth noting that Billy Hamilton: leadoff man is not getting off to a great start for the Reds. He’s got an OBP of .111 so far. He can steal second and third at will, but he can’t steal first.

Red Sox 5, Rangers 1: This “John Lackey is a good pitcher” thing is lasting into another season, apparently. Good for him. One unearned run was all he allowed while Jackie Bradley, Jr. Mike Napoli and A.J. Pierzynski each had three hits. Both of these teams are 3-4. I had them down as my ALCS matchup, so really guys, get on the stick.

Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on TuesdayHere’s the FanDuel link.

Royals 4, Rays 2: Jason Vargas: one run over eight. That one run came in the ninth, though, as he gave up a homer to Ben Zobrist to lead things off and then was quickly replaced by Greg Holland. Who gave up a run of his own, actually, which is crazy given that he throws freakin’ napalm.

Rockies 8, White Sox 1: Jordan Lyles went 3 for 3 with a couple of RBIs. Oh, and he pitched a little too, allowing one run in six and two-thirds. The rest of the Rockies didn’t really need to show up.

Padres vs. Indians: POSTPONED; Brewers v. Phillies: POSTPONED:  Yesterday marked the 40th anniversary of the release of my favorite movie of all time. Like, favorite by a long shot and it ain’t even close. In honor of that — and in honor of two rainouts — I provide you with a picture of its protagonist wearing a raincoat:

source:

1. thedoubleentandres - Apr 8, 2014 at 6:46 AM

The best raincoat scene in movie history…

• moogro - Apr 9, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Played by a young Craig with hair.

Glasses? Check.
      Batman-style warehouse hideaway? Check.
      And eavesdropping on blog conversations? Great career plan.

2. thedoubleentandres - Apr 8, 2014 at 7:05 AM

I see CJ Wilson even attempted a Knuckleball for poops and giggles

3. someguyinva - Apr 8, 2014 at 7:46 AM

“As long as there are dudes older than me still making it work as major leaguers I won’t be old yet.”

This is why I miss Jamie Moyer.

• larrytsg - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Was going to post the same thing… I turned 50 yesterday, and I got my AARP card in the mail too. But it’s the lack of Major League players older than me that is making this hard……..

And yes, I do miss Jamie Moyer.

Heck, on the same note, it makes you feel old when guys you saw and admired as players are all of a sudden managers and coaches. Brad Ausmus, Mike Scosia, Mike Methany…. and then Bengie Molina and Omar Vizquel are first base coaches…….

• stex52 - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I guess I can say, “As long as there are managers older than I am in MLB then I am not old yet.”

• APBA Guy - Apr 8, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Why it was bad when Leyland retired-he was always older than everybody :)

4. djandujar - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:05 AM

The Conversation is also one of my all time faves. Hey Craig, did you know that Coppola was considering using Marlin Brando in the role of Harry Caul? I just couldn’t picture Brando cleaning his ears onscreen in this one. Hackman was perfect.

• spudchukar - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:50 AM

When is Hackman not. Another under-rated Hackman film is Scarecrow.

5. Eutaw's Finest - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:11 AM

Watching Jimenez through his first 2 outings has been nothing shy of disheartening. He seems to get it through the lineup the first time around, but he hit’s a wall in the 4th/5th and just falls apart. It’s like he becomes terrified of the strike zone, and that only intensifies when he gets a runner on. The 5th last night for Jimenez featured 4 singles, a double and a walk (one of his 5 walks in 4 2/3 IP). I believe he had something around 110 pitches and somewhere around 60 for strikes? That’s not good. And very misleading as he was hitting the strike zone steady in the first few innings, then completely lost it after that. And again, I don’t think it’s inability- he shows he can take care of business early on in games- it’s either intimidation or fear of getting lit up. Regardless he needs to straighten that out. And soon. Not that I can see him getting dropped from a rotation that is terrible on the back end, BUT Britton has been pitching lights out and will be next man in, Gausman is ready to roll and Bundy should be back by the All Star Break.

And don’t get me started on the black hole in the line up (Lombardozzi, Flaherty, Schoop, Lough)… if Buck doesn’t put Delmon Young in LF or DH tonight just to add pop in the lineup I’ll lose my mind.

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Wait, are you asking for Delmon Young? Snap out of it!

• Eutaw's Finest - Apr 8, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Let’s be honest here: Delmon Young > David Lough. Offensively at least, which is where we are severely lacking outside of Marakakis/Jones/Davis/Cruz/Weiters. Young at least gives us a little more at the dish and any bit helps these days!

• madhatternalice - Apr 8, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Cruz > Young @ DH
        Lough > Young @ LF

• Eutaw's Finest - Apr 8, 2014 at 3:34 PM

I HAD to come back to this comment to fill you in:

Delmon Young’s line today as of the 7th inning- 3 for 4, HR, 3 RBI’s.

Is it unlikely to happen again? Sure. But I’ll take what I can get!

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Oh, yeah, he’s delivering when you don’t need it (that’s how he draws you in by the way). Everyone is contributing today. Ribs and Weiters!

• Eutaw's Finest - Apr 8, 2014 at 4:09 PM

The black hole is 8 for 15!

• Eutaw's Finest - Apr 8, 2014 at 3:39 PM

@madhatteralice

Your short changing my logic. Cruz to LF, Young to DH is what I wanted. And got today. I understand Cruz and Young are nowhere as good in LF as Lough, but Lough cannot get on base. His offensive struggles are a bigger issue than the potential defensive loss by moving him out of the lineup. The bottom line for me is that any bat in this line is better than Lough right now, so have him ride some pine and get some offensive potential in the lineup. a 4 man black hole (Lough, Lombardozzi, Flaherty, Schoop) is never good for any lineup. Young helps. And it’s paid off today too (see my line above).

• southpaw2k - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I’ve been trying to think of who would be bumped in the rotation into long relief for Britton. Jimenez is being paid way too much to bump him. If Norris or Gonzalez have one or two more rough outings, would either of them be sent to the bullpen in favor of Britton? Same would go for Gausman.

Then again, this question doesn’t take into account any injury that may happen.

• Eutaw's Finest - Apr 8, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I think we need to see how Chunk Norris and Gonzo show in their next few outings before deciding but I am hard pressed to see a scenario where Britton doesn’t get a start before May. One of those 2 will fall apart. I had high hopes for Norris coming into this season but after that abysmal outing it’s hard to say. Still early let’s get the kinks out now!

• spudchukar - Apr 8, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Agree. Jimenez was serving up frisbees after the first couple of innings, and the Yankees were smart enough to not do too much. “Disheartening” is spot on. This outing is really discouraging.

With you on the line-up thing too. I checked it yesterday morning and couldn’t help but take note. Those 4 in a row was mincemeat for Kuroda, who was good, but not special.

The base running blunders didn’t help either. How hard is it to count to 3, Hector? And Schoop was caught napping, after replaying his double in the corner, I guess and was picked off second.

The Machado-less O’s need a spark and it is hard to see how they can expect it from Chen.

• Eutaw's Finest - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:01 AM

So there’s a TON going against us right now. Machado out and Hardy still out so your left side of the infield is replaced with Schoop and Flaherty. Schoop gets a pass at the dish for me- he’s young and inexperienced and will come around. Flaherty has NO excuse. He will be sent down once Manny is back without a doubt. Starting pitching is painful too outside of Tillman. I’d like to see a few more go arounds before dubbing them helpless but after their first appearances? Yikes… I’m hoping the Tigers bats are just that great and not our pitching that bad. And then the black hole in the lineup is killing any rally we start. I can recall having 2 on and none out about 4 times in the past few games… then they hit the black hole and there’s 3 straight outs. None of those 4 are hitting above .180 that’s how bad it is.

Negatives aside, Weiters is hitting which is going under the radar right now, the bullpen has been great aside from Webb, and Davis (while homer-less) is using the entire field which is something he didn’t do much in the past. There are some positives on this team but they need Hardy and Manny back pronto if this pitching stays shaky.

• spudchukar - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Normally, I don’t see a lot of O’s games but I agree with every one of your analyses. Schoop will develop, Weiters and Davis both are adjusting their approaches, but I have little faith with the present starting rotation outside of Tillman.

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I think Bundy will be a boost when he returns.

• spudchukar - Apr 8, 2014 at 12:08 PM

It sure cannot hurt.

6. cur'68 - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:20 AM

That’s from “The Conversation”? I thought it was “The French Connection”. Live and learn, I guess. I watched parts of the Red Sox/Rangers game and I saw Grady Sizemore crash into a wall going back for a ball. He didn’t ‘splode into his constituent pieces or come up lame. He did lose his glove, though. But he played well other than hitting the LF wall. He had me worried for a few seconds there.

• clydeserra - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:33 AM

heard that on the radio. A very good sign. Maybe this is the kids year.

• cur'68 - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Man, I hope so. I watch him play, think about all he went through to get back on the field, and try not to imagine him held together by spit an cobwebs. Every ball he hits or catches is a small reward for all the work he put in and for his perseverance. He’s an example for all of us who were forced to give up what we wanted most. Work hard, get better, do what you have to do. Some day you might just get it all back if you do.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:52 AM

I dunno. My pre-lapsarian innocence ain’t gonna be that easy to recover, no matter how good I am. Tim Tebow and Lolo Jones are still way ahead of me. At this point, I’ll be lucky if even Santa Claus notices.

• yahmule - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I saw it, too. I couldn’t help but think, “well that’s that” as soon as he hit the wall.

• spudchukar - Apr 8, 2014 at 10:03 AM

At first I thought it might be the French Connection, but then looked closer and saw the envelope, and throughout the FC, Hackman wore that funky little fedora-like hat.

• jwbiii - Apr 8, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Also, the train has an SF logo. The French Connection was very much a NY film.

7. stex52 - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Good movie. If you aren’t a bit disturbed by that one, you don’t get it. Gene Hackman at this best.

Hated to see what happened to Infante last night. Hope the damage is healed in not too long a DL stint.

And the Astros are doing a bit of what I thought they would this year. Two steps forward, one BIG step back. I still think they will be 10-12 games improved this year, so just bad instead of terrible. But they need to get some of those AAA kids in the lineup. It sure wouldn’t hurt any at some positions.

• cur'68 - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:30 AM

My Boys play Your Boys for the next 3, Stex. We’ll see who’s who and what’s what, I guess. They drop the puck at 1900-ish tonight. Then It Will Be On. The Battle of the Cellar Dwellers. The War of the Worst. The Battle of the Bumbling. sigh

Could be worse. Neither of us has to root for The Mets.

• spudchukar - Apr 8, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Or Minnesota. Craig championed the A’s line-up and it can be challenging, although King Felix showed little stress over the weekend, but he also suggested that no one in the line-up is an easy out. My question is, who in Baseball is an easy out when one of the Twins’ starters are hurling?

• happytwinsfan - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:14 AM

now now spud, we only lost yesterday so we can say tomorrow that we saw 500 twice this year.

• spudchukar - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:18 AM

HTF, I am pullin’ for your Twins, but the pitching acquisitions over the winter were brainless. The offense has been great, and if they continue should provide for a more interesting season, but having to score double digits to win isn’t a recipe for success.

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:33 AM

I watched the Drillers play Corpus Christi this weekend and they were outclassed. You have some decent players farther down, if that makes you feel better (much better than the Rockies).

I don’t know how anyone has a favorite movie that they prefer that much more than others. I struggle to limit myself to favorites in different categories.

• spudchukar - Apr 8, 2014 at 10:10 AM

So the Drillers toppled the Hookers? And yeah the “Conversation” is great, but it has plenty of rivals, but to each there own. And I forget so many great films. Haven’t thought about Richard Farnsworth for years, and then “The Grey Fox” suddenly popped into my consciousness and I realized how much I miss both.

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM

No, the Hooks let us have it. The score reflected some bum luck late in the game. We looked like high schoolers — they at least looked like college grads.

I don’t want to upset anyone here by saying that I have never heard of these movies, so I’ll just step out the back quietly.

• clydeserra - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:34 AM

what’s up with cozart? he looked good last year

• stex52 - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Mornin’, Cur. How’s Bella? I happen to like Border Collies, if you can stand the fact that you are living with a dog that is smarter than you are. I see this as a rough three days for the Astros, but I am a lousy predictor. And I don’t know about the Beavs and the cellar. They have a lot of talent, if they can figure out who will pitch for them. The Astros, however, are a lock.

Hey, it’s fun having talent on the farm, philiac, but eventually it has to help you in the big city. If they don’t bring Springer and Singleton up soon I am going to consider violence. This whole delaying to save bucks on free agency years borders on the unethical.

clyde, if you look at Cosart last year he had a great ERA but the WHIP was not nearly so good. He has control issues, and he had a pretty solid 2013 mainly by leaving a ton of men on base. That catches up to you. He is going to have to get that ball over the plate and increase his K rate or he will struggle.

• cur'68 - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Bella is in fine form this AM. She met a little girl while playing frisbee on the beach. It was about the sweetest thing I’ve seen in some time. The child was about 6 or 7 and was digging in the sand on the tide line. Its a windy morning, so there was lots of waves and her sand pit was awash. My doggie made a great catch of her frisbee not far from the little lady who saw this and pottered over to pat her. Well, Bella adores children. Especially little girls who I think remind her of my daughter when she was smaller. They then engaged in a five minute session of mutual hole digging. I wish I could have taken a picture of it (left the phone at home, since I was splashing around in the surf). Her dad and I had a conversation about the family dog, a shelty, who was boarding in a kennel in Wisconsin. We agreed that sheep dogs were the best, his daughter and my dog were likely they sweetest thing we would see all day, and that The Yankees suck. Best five minute conversation of my week.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 8, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I have this funny anecdote from my sister-in-law. She and a bunch of her friends were talking about who their top 5 sexy actors were. My sister-in-law came up with Gene Hackman. Of course her friends were all…”Huh? Well ok, everyone has different tastes and all”. She didn’t get it. It wasn’t until she told her husband about it and saw the weird face he made that she explained:

– “Yeah, you know, Wolverine.”
      – “That’s HUGH Jackman! not Gene Hackman!”

Of course I have never let her live it down, to this day I keep sending her Gene Hackman pics.

• stex52 - Apr 8, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Whoaaa! Brain fart deluxe!

But never forget Hackman in “Young Frankenstein.”

8. gigab0t - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Sucks for Omar. Hope he gets well soon!

COMMENTER’S NOTE: gigab0t’s advertising partner JiffyLube© is offering 10% off for every thumbs up this comment receives. Jiffy Lube Technicians provide A/C services, transmission services, brake service, cooling system service, Inspections & more. Visit a service center today!

Love The Conversation. One of Gene Hackman’s best for sure. Nice raincoat.

• Kevin S. - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:49 AM

I can’t tell if this is superb mockery of those FanDuel inserts or genuine spam.

• nolanwiffle - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:09 AM

That is the genius of gigab0t.

• nolanwiffle - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:09 AM

That is the genius of gigab0t.

• sportsdrenched - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Everyone shut off your devices, giga0t wins the internet for the day.

9. jm91rs - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:39 AM

As a Reds fan it was nice to see Billy Hamilton turn a routine single to right into an easy stand up double. Now if he could just figure out how to put the ball on the bat a little more often. The kid is clearly pressing, hopefully that first hit of the year will help turn some things around.

10. sdelmonte - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:01 AM

- Billy Hamilton: the modern day Willie Mays Hayes? Would be fun to see if he really could bunt his way on, but that seems unlikely.

– So which Jeter game was the real one? The one reported by the NY media where he was the star with a near-home run and a run scored, or the one in the box score that says he was 1 for 4 with 2 strikeouts? It wouldn’t surprise me at all if his season looked like that. A lower average, but still plenty of hits and runs, contributing but not the star. Though so far, it seems like the stars in the Bronx have been the pitchers.

– Not a massive fan of The Conversation, but hard to argue that it’s not a great film with a great cast. Hackman is one of my all time favorite actors, and it’s hard to imagine someone like him or Walter Matthau getting such meaty high profile roles in present day Hollywood.

• spudchukar - Apr 8, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Yeah, throw in Duvall and Hopkins and one can bask in the glory of days of yore. Of course then comes Hopper, Walkins, Malkovich…

11. indaburg - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Kansas City continues to be a house of horrors for TB. Seventh straight loss at Kauffman, and Matt Moore out with elbow soreness. X-rays found he had no bullet fragments or anything equally frightening. MRI today should tell us a bit more.

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Verlander has that problem too — winning in KC, I mean. It’s like a barbecue hole or something.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 8, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Last year your guys just wouldn’t stop pitching to Billy Butler – and he kept bringing Billy’s Hit it a TON barbecue sauce.

12. stlouis1baseball - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:43 AM

CC: In fairness to Billy Hamilton, it should be noted he led off the game with a double and had another hit taken away by the diving large mammal at 1st base. But your point is taken…he has stunk it up thus far. So much so…pitchers should be grooving him fastball after fastball.

• jm91rs - Apr 8, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I’d throw him anything but fastballs. He’s clueless on every off-speed pitch I’ve seen thrown at him. Sometimes he looks like he’s new to baseball. Maybe all the “the playoff hopes for the Reds are in the hands of 23 year old Billy Hamilton” talk from everyone in Cincinnati have put a little added pressure on top of the already huge task of batting lead off in the majors. He’s going to be a fantastic defender, and no doubt he’ll steal a ton of bases if he can get on, but I don’t think he’s going to have the kind of On Base Percentage he’ll need to keep the lead off spot.

• spudchukar - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:37 AM

You have to do both. High heat, especially inside, and then breaking balls in the dirt. Wainwright made him look silly with his bouncing yakker, and Lynn equally inept, upstairs.

To his credit, the ease with which he turned a routine single into a double should remind foes that one best keep him off base, cause he can be a force once gets on base. But staying a step ahead of him with both strategies will make it more difficult for him to adapt.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 8, 2014 at 3:09 PM

I hear you jm.
        But this right here says it all…”sometimes he looks like he’s new to baseball.”
        I just don’t think the kid can hit. And until he proves that I am pounding the strike zone.
        Cause (in my opinion) he looks clueless right now on pretty much everything you throw at him.

• stex52 - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:05 AM

“Large Diving Mammal.” Certainly descriptive in this case, SLB.

13. APBA Guy - Apr 8, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Well, I’ll definitely take the A’s love, but:

– it was Minnesota they were playing. Not much pitching there
    – the A’s lineup is healthy, at least until Lowrie left. Not too many teams can say that.

As evidence of how weak the Twins pitcher (Correia) was, Norris, who never bats against RHP, homered off him.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3615)