Apr 8, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
Another hour, another Tommy John surgery.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that Angels left-hander Brian Moran — acquired from the Blue Jays in December’s Rule 5 Draft — needs the reconstructive elbow surgery after being diagnosed with a torn ligament.
Moran has a cool 3.06 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, and 339 strikeouts in 288 career minor league innings and was in the competition for an Opening Day bullpen spot this spring in camp. But he had to be placed on the disabled list March 30 with inflammation in his elbow and further testing revealed the ligament tear.
Moran, 25, will be on the shelf through the early part of the 2015 campaign.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 1
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 19
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 41
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)