Apr 8, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
I can’t decide if this is brilliant or insane: ESPN is going to do a “a special reenactment” of Hank Aaron’s 715th home run tonight. Meaning a reenactment of coverage. They’re calling it Aaron 715: Live in 2014. and it’ll be done in real-time on their website:
ESPN.com will start this reenactment at 7:15 p.m. ET tonight, with photos, videos and “reports” from the now-demolished Fulton County Stadium in Atlanta. Network baseball insider Jayson Stark will even serve as an “on-site” reporter. He’ll provide updates, statistics and player reaction throughout the evening, culminating at 9:07 p.m. ET, the exact time Aaron hit the home run 40 years ago.
If Stark is dressed as a 1974 reporter than this goes a long way toward putting it in the “win” column. Absent that, though, I feel like modern crazy coverage of historic events would be sort of awful. Cutting to the Baseball Tonight crew to mouth cliches about something that is and was fantastic and superlative on its own doesn’t seem like it adds anything, for example.
I’m prepared to be pleasantly surprised, though.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)