ESPN.com to “reenact” coverage of Hank Aaron’s 715th homer tonight

Apr 8, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

Hank Aaron

I can’t decide if this is brilliant or insane: ESPN is going to do a “a special reenactment” of Hank Aaron’s 715th home run tonight. Meaning a reenactment of coverage. They’re calling it  Aaron 715: Live in 2014. and it’ll be done in real-time on their website:

ESPN.com will start this reenactment at 7:15 p.m. ET tonight, with photos, videos and “reports” from the now-demolished Fulton County Stadium in Atlanta. Network baseball insider Jayson Stark will even serve as an “on-site” reporter. He’ll provide updates, statistics and player reaction throughout the evening, culminating at 9:07 p.m. ET, the exact time Aaron hit the home run 40 years ago.

If Stark is dressed as a 1974 reporter than this goes a long way toward putting it in the “win” column. Absent that, though, I feel like modern crazy coverage of historic events would be sort of awful. Cutting to the Baseball Tonight crew to mouth cliches about something that is and was fantastic and superlative on its own doesn’t seem like it adds anything, for example.

I’m prepared to be pleasantly surprised, though.

1. unclemosesgreen - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM

That can’t possibly be an actual thing that’s really happening.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Correction: This is a real thing which is actually happening.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:42 AM

“I just wanna know that this is really happening.”

-Roy Neary to Claude Lacombe in Close Encounters of the Third Kind

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:56 AM

I mean, give me a hand signal or something…

• Reflex - Apr 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Close Encounters was the last movie my father was in charge of building the sets for before he left Hollywood. He was a construction foreman and labor leader for a decade and a half before that. His brother stayed there as a foreman until the early 90′s, his last movie was The Shawshank redemption. Check the credits for Barrett Fleetwood. Unfortunately in my father’s time, people in his position did not get credited. Barrett only got credit due to a new negotiated deal on his very last movie, which is too bad since he was in charge of all the sets for Escape from Alcatraz and had some fantastic Clint Eastwood stories.

Sorry, random ramble I know. But my father was very proud of how that movie turned out. And as he slips further into dementia it makes me remember him how he was when people mention it.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 8, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Thank you for sharing – all the best to you and your father.

• asimonetti88 - Apr 8, 2014 at 3:42 PM

This sounds incredibly stupid.

What time is it on?

• moogro - Apr 9, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Knee-jerk for knee-jerks

2. hojo20 - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:28 AM

My cable dollars go to this crap?

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Tell you what: we’ll do an email campaign to encourage ESPN to broadcast a “re-enactment” of Barry Bonds’ fraudulent 756th home run instead.

• vivabear - Apr 8, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Why?

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2014 at 1:47 PM

To make hojo happy. Surely you’re not so utterly bitter, bilious and wretched that you object to making hojo happy?

• vivabear - Apr 8, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I wouldn’t object to it, but really am indifferent to making hojo happy. You’re comment is just senseless, unless maybe he’s a Barry Bonds fan? Is that the case?

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:43 PM

My comment made perfect sense – you’re just too stupid to understand it.

3. tysonpunchinguterus - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:34 AM

So they want viewers to tune in and watch ESPN reporters and analysts try to act? I think I’ll stick with watching actual live baseball.

4. Mark Armour - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Any second ESPN spends spreading the word about Aaron and this glorious event is a win. This story can not be over-sold.

• 18thstreet - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:42 AM

See, that’s where you’re wrong.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I agree. Notice, by the way, that although technically Aaron has been eclipsed by Barry “Better-Living-Through-Chemistry” Bonds, the achievement with all the emotional appeal, the real life and dreaminess in it, remains Aaron’s. When was the last time you can remember the second-greatest slugging accomplishment being treated, which is to say acknowledged, as the real one?

• someguyinva - Apr 8, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Babe Ruth’s 60 vs. Roger Maris’ 61*?

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2014 at 1:48 PM

• moogro - Apr 9, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Bodry-yard real is now really real.

• chiadam - Apr 8, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Lies.

5. chiadam - Apr 8, 2014 at 12:06 PM

They’ll probably do something stupid, like put one of those comet tails behind the ball for people that are too dense too follow a ball on a screen, or freeze the frame right as the pitcher releases the ball so they can highlight where the catcher is holding his mitt (just in case we forgot where to look for the mitt to begin with).

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Apr 8, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Don’t forget they have to to a 90 degree rotation after the freeze frame so we can see things from a different view. And then jump over to show us the “Batters Eye” view.

6. tebowspeech - Apr 8, 2014 at 12:15 PM

So it’s going to be 90 minutes of Skip Bayless being anti-Hank Aaron?

7. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Apr 8, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I’d rather them permanently re-enact the moment Cal Ripken broke the streak and everyone shut the hell up.

• pbastille - Apr 8, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Cal could do a pretty mean Uncle Fester if there’s ever an Addams Family redux

8. discountdoublecheck - Apr 8, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Wut

9. dondada10 - Apr 8, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Henry Aaron: Baseball’s Homerun King

10. rugdaniels - Apr 8, 2014 at 1:33 PM

I’m sure that fat hack Berman will find a way to be part of it. He never fails to squeeze one of his ‘signature’ calls into a broadcast. I honestly cannot come up with a national broadcaster I loathe more than Chris Berman. (Sean Brace is my most hated but he’s local to Philadelphia).

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Geeze, they took his hair Tommy. Why would they do that?

• chiadam - Apr 8, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Everyone at ESPN can join him on that list. It’s sucked for years, but now it’s completely out of control. They air highlights and a top ten list but talk over all the plays with stupid one-liners and catch phrases that no one laughs at but them. Everyone is just out looking to get their five seconds on camera to scream over the other guy.

• clydeserra - Apr 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Jon Sciambi on the radio is good.

11. lanflfan - Apr 8, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Pass.

Awesome part of baseball history, but if I want to celebrate the moment I’ll watch the real thing, not a cheap knockoff.

12. nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 8, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I worship both King Henry and Walter Cronkite, but the latter might be partly to blame for this show’s concept. Back when Aaron was still in minor league baseball, Walter debuted in a history show called You Are There, reenacting important moments from the past. Alas.

13. NatsLady - Apr 8, 2014 at 3:46 PM

They played Vin Scully’s call on the podcast. It was maybe 30 seconds of Scully and 4.5 minutes of crowd noise. So, will Scully and the crowd from 1974 be joining in this effort?

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3929)