Apr 8, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly has the story:
SAN FRANCISCO – Giants GM Brian Sabean said he is “probably at the end of the rope” concerning contract negotiations with Pablo Sandoval, and that talks have been tabled between the club and its All-Star third baseman.
“We’ve given our best shot with good faith intended to try to get him signed and they’ve drawn a line in the sand that we’re not going to beat nor should we meet,” the Giants’ general manager told CSN Bay Area’s Jim Kozimor on Yahoo Sportstalk Live Tuesday. “Things have been tabled and we’ll see what happens up the line, but we’re not going to have ongoing talks from this time forward.”
Sandoval is now scheduled to become a free agent five days after the conclusion of the 2014 World Series. He’s one of the most productive hitters in the National League when he is healthy and clicking, but weight management has been an issue and so has consistency. Those two things may or may not be related.
You can’t really blame Sabean and Co. for not wanting to rush into a massive contract extension.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 6
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)