Apr 8, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly has the story:
SAN FRANCISCO – Giants GM Brian Sabean said he is “probably at the end of the rope” concerning contract negotiations with Pablo Sandoval, and that talks have been tabled between the club and its All-Star third baseman.
“We’ve given our best shot with good faith intended to try to get him signed and they’ve drawn a line in the sand that we’re not going to beat nor should we meet,” the Giants’ general manager told CSN Bay Area’s Jim Kozimor on Yahoo Sportstalk Live Tuesday. “Things have been tabled and we’ll see what happens up the line, but we’re not going to have ongoing talks from this time forward.”
Sandoval is now scheduled to become a free agent five days after the conclusion of the 2014 World Series. He’s one of the most productive hitters in the National League when he is healthy and clicking, but weight management has been an issue and so has consistency. Those two things may or may not be related.
You can’t really blame Sabean and Co. for not wanting to rush into a massive contract extension.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)