Matt Moore placed on disabled list with left elbow injury, will visit Dr. James Andrews

Apr 8, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT

Concerning news here on Rays left-hander Matt Moore, who left his start Monday against the Royals due to left elbow discomfort and was officially placed on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday …

It’s promising that Moore feels good, but any visit with Dr. James Andrews is reason for alarm.

Moore, 24, owns a 3.53 ERA (108 ERA+), 1.329 WHIP, and 8.8 K/9 in 347 career major league innings.

***********************

UPDATE, 10:18 p.m. ET: This is not good …

1. cur'68 - Apr 8, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Good luck to him. At this point its like any visit to Dr. Andrews is an automatic TJS. I’d like to see the kid buck the trend.

• raysfan1 - Apr 8, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Yeah, is there any name in sports medicine that causes more dread than. Dr Andrews’?

• cur'68 - Apr 8, 2014 at 7:49 PM

He does great work. Saves careers. And no one wants to know him. Poor man.

• raysfan1 - Apr 8, 2014 at 7:54 PM

The gratitude comes later. Fear comes first.

• oasiserfede - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Dusty Baker?

• indaburg - Apr 9, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Well, Dr. Andrews is the medical director for the Rays.

The partial tear is disheartening news. I hope Bedard is up to the task.

• carpi2 - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:52 PM

“….and will be evaluated by Dr. James Andrews”

Many a lost season was preceded by this simple statement.

2. gothapotamus90210 - Apr 8, 2014 at 7:21 PM

What a conformist.

3. dillongeeescapeplan - Apr 8, 2014 at 7:23 PM

All the cool kids get TJS.

And he’s 25 already? Wow.

• Drew Silva - Apr 8, 2014 at 7:55 PM

He’s 24. My mistake.

• dillongeeescapeplan - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I didn’t realize he was 24 until well after I made that comment. I thought he was like 20 when he came up to the majors.

4. johnnysoda - Apr 8, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Starting to lose track of how many guys have gotten Tommy John surgery. Is it me?

• indaburg - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:29 PM

No, it’s not just you. Here you go: http://mlbreports.com/tj-surgery/
      Some of them I’d forgotten had Tommy John surgery. Others surprised me.

• paperlions - Apr 9, 2014 at 7:18 AM

Thanks for the link. Looks like this year has a ways to go before it catches some of the years in the early 2000s or 2012.

Matt Holliday had TJS? WTF? It makes me wonder if some position players that were HS pitchers have UCL tears that take years to get bad enough to require surgery.

• indaburg - Apr 9, 2014 at 9:33 AM

He was a high school quarterback, supposedly pretty good. Maybe that contributed?

5. Barry's Triceps - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Whats different than Tommy John and using steroids? I want all natural sports. How many pitchers nowadays are cheating the record books whenever their older counterparts had careers cut short?

• johnnysoda - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:46 PM

I would say you’re a complete moron, but I’m holding out hope this is just (bad) sarcasm.

• paperlions - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:36 PM

It is an artificial enhancement. They build a franken-elbow. Sure, it is “legal”, but there is nothing natural about replacing an elbow ligament, or lasik surgery, or cortisone shots. The point is that the line between enhancements that are legal and those that are not is arbitrary.

• campcouch - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I kinda see your point. A lot of high school and college players get the surgery just to strengthen their arms (Little League Arm). At some point they’ll need it again and since you are physically altering your body to improve it,even after an injury,doesn’t it give you an advantage. Every pitcher claims that after the surgery their arm is stronger,but the doctors say it’s due to rehab. So just like PEDs,it helps with recovery,it isn’t a natural process and in some cases it does physically enhance the stability of the elbow.But it’s like reconstructive knee surgery,it’s just a medical procedure to get your body working as close to normal as possible.

• tysonpunchinguterus - Apr 9, 2014 at 9:18 AM

I think what the pitchers are noticing as being “better than ever” is really just the fact that they were pitching with a weak elbow for a while before the ligament gave out. I don’t believe there has actually been a guy come back from this surgery throwing harder than he ever has in his life.

• dillongeeescapeplan - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:32 PM

You try way too hard.

• tysonpunchinguterus - Apr 9, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Or the line is that some things (such as steroids) can have adverse health effects and other things (surgery) repair injuries. Comparing elbow surgery to PEDs is absurdist. By that logic, Joba Chamberlain shouldn’t have had surgery to fix his ankle and should be taking the mound with the bone sticking out. I should be limping around because I broke my leg when I was in 3rd grade. That doctor who set my leg and put the cast on it artificially enhanced me! I’m a monster!

• paperlions - Apr 9, 2014 at 12:14 PM

You are being dense. What is the PED arguement against? The negative health effects associated with steroids is tiny; amphetamines are far far far worse for you than steroids….as are many OTC drugs. If the argument is that PEDs allow you to do things that you couldn’t naturally do….well, so do surgeries, so do eye glasses, so does caffeine, so do cortisone shots. The line between performance enhancing substances that are allowed and those that are not is arbitrary and blurry.

6. 13arod - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:33 PM

I hope my man moore doesn’t need surgery he is a great person and a great pitcher, a future ace if he can improve his control

7. titansbro - Apr 8, 2014 at 11:12 PM

I say let them all do whatever drugs they want. It’ll be fun to watch!

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate