Apr 9, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
From Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports comes word that A’s shortstop prospect Addison Russell has been diagnosed with a Grade 3 hamstring strain — it’s a tear, really — and will be out at least a month.
Russell was 5-for-7 with a double, a home run, and one stolen base through two games this season at Double-A Midland. He posted an .865 OPS with 17 homers and 21 steals in 110 games last season between High-A Stockton and Triple-A Sacramento.
If the 20-year-old makes a full recovery and gets back into a groove offensively, he should reach the major league level by the end of the 2014 season.
Russell was ranked the No. 7 prospect in the game this winter by Baseball Prospectus.
Oakland’s current starting shortstop, Jed Lowrie, is set to become a free agent after the 2014 season.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 15
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)