Apr 9, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
From Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports comes word that A’s shortstop prospect Addison Russell has been diagnosed with a Grade 3 hamstring strain — it’s a tear, really — and will be out at least a month.
Russell was 5-for-7 with a double, a home run, and one stolen base through two games this season at Double-A Midland. He posted an .865 OPS with 17 homers and 21 steals in 110 games last season between High-A Stockton and Triple-A Sacramento.
If the 20-year-old makes a full recovery and gets back into a groove offensively, he should reach the major league level by the end of the 2014 season.
Russell was ranked the No. 7 prospect in the game this winter by Baseball Prospectus.
Oakland’s current starting shortstop, Jed Lowrie, is set to become a free agent after the 2014 season.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 0
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)