Apr 9, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
From Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports comes word that A’s shortstop prospect Addison Russell has been diagnosed with a Grade 3 hamstring strain — it’s a tear, really — and will be out at least a month.
Russell was 5-for-7 with a double, a home run, and one stolen base through two games this season at Double-A Midland. He posted an .865 OPS with 17 homers and 21 steals in 110 games last season between High-A Stockton and Triple-A Sacramento.
If the 20-year-old makes a full recovery and gets back into a groove offensively, he should reach the major league level by the end of the 2014 season.
Russell was ranked the No. 7 prospect in the game this winter by Baseball Prospectus.
Oakland’s current starting shortstop, Jed Lowrie, is set to become a free agent after the 2014 season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)