Apr 9, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
From Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports comes word that A’s shortstop prospect Addison Russell has been diagnosed with a Grade 3 hamstring strain — it’s a tear, really — and will be out at least a month.
Russell was 5-for-7 with a double, a home run, and one stolen base through two games this season at Double-A Midland. He posted an .865 OPS with 17 homers and 21 steals in 110 games last season between High-A Stockton and Triple-A Sacramento.
If the 20-year-old makes a full recovery and gets back into a groove offensively, he should reach the major league level by the end of the 2014 season.
Russell was ranked the No. 7 prospect in the game this winter by Baseball Prospectus.
Oakland’s current starting shortstop, Jed Lowrie, is set to become a free agent after the 2014 season.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (102)