Apr 9, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Marlins right-hander Jacob Turner hurt his shoulder taking batting practice prior to yesterday’s scheduled start. He was scratched from the outing against the Nationals and now the Marlins have placed him on the disabled list with a strained shoulder.
Left-hander Brad Hand, who had begun the season in the bullpen, will move into the rotation to sub for Turner.
Turner showed some good promise for the Marlins last season at age 22, starting 20 games with a 3.74 ERA, although his 77/54 K/BB ratio in 118 innings was unimpressive. A former top prospect, Turner was acquired from the Tigers in the Anibal Sanchez trade.
Oh, and in terms of needing batting practice: Turner is 4-for-51 (.078) with 24 strikeouts and zero walks in his career as a hitter.
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 13
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 14
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)