Apr 9, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Marlins right-hander Jacob Turner hurt his shoulder taking batting practice prior to yesterday’s scheduled start. He was scratched from the outing against the Nationals and now the Marlins have placed him on the disabled list with a strained shoulder.
Left-hander Brad Hand, who had begun the season in the bullpen, will move into the rotation to sub for Turner.
Turner showed some good promise for the Marlins last season at age 22, starting 20 games with a 3.74 ERA, although his 77/54 K/BB ratio in 118 innings was unimpressive. A former top prospect, Turner was acquired from the Tigers in the Anibal Sanchez trade.
Oh, and in terms of needing batting practice: Turner is 4-for-51 (.078) with 24 strikeouts and zero walks in his career as a hitter.
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 43
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 24
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)