Apr 9, 2014, 7:58 PM EST
Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen is almost fully recovered from his late-spring left abdominal strain.
John Lott of Canada’s National Post reports that the right-hander threw a bullpen session on Wednesday afternoon, which manager John Gibbons called “impressive.” Janssen will throw another bullpen session in the next couple of days and should then be cleared for a minor league rehab assignment.
Sergio Santos will continue to close for now.
Janssen registered an outstanding 2.56 ERA, 0.987 WHIP, and 50/13 K/BB ratio across 52 2/3 innings last season for the Blue Jays, saving 34 games in 36 opportunities.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 6
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 51
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)