Apr 9, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Mariners left-handed starter James Paxton owns a ridiculous 1.75 ERA and 0.83 WHIP through his first 36 innings at the major league level. But it’s going to be a while before he gets to add to that stat line.
According to MLB.com’s Greg Johns, the Mariners officially placed Paxton on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday because of a strained left latissimus dorsi muscle that he suffered in the sixth inning of his outing Tuesday night against the Angels. Lucas Luetge was promoted from Triple-A Tacoma in a corresponding move to provide some bullpen depth.
Chris Young will take Paxton’s rotation spot this Sunday against the A’s.
Lat strains usually require 3-4 weeks of recovery time.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 7
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 133
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39