Apr 9, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Mariners left-handed starter James Paxton owns a ridiculous 1.75 ERA and 0.83 WHIP through his first 36 innings at the major league level. But it’s going to be a while before he gets to add to that stat line.
According to MLB.com’s Greg Johns, the Mariners officially placed Paxton on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday because of a strained left latissimus dorsi muscle that he suffered in the sixth inning of his outing Tuesday night against the Angels. Lucas Luetge was promoted from Triple-A Tacoma in a corresponding move to provide some bullpen depth.
Chris Young will take Paxton’s rotation spot this Sunday against the A’s.
Lat strains usually require 3-4 weeks of recovery time.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)