Apr 9, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
I swear to God, if I was a manager and one of my players slid head-first into first base I’d fine them back to the stone age. From Alden Gonzalez:
Angels outfielder Josh Hamilton injured his left thumb while sliding headfirst into first base in the seventh inning at Safeco Field on Tuesday night, an injury that prevented him from batting in a crucial situation in the ninth.
X-rays on Hamilton’s thumb were negative, and he’ll have an MRI today.
Asked after the game about sliding into first, Hamilton said “I shouldn’t have done it, probably, but I’m not going to say I’m not going to do it again because I’d be lying.”
Between Hamilton and Frank Thomas today is shaping up into the ultimate “ballplayers should be seen but not heard” kind of day.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)