Apr 9, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
I swear to God, if I was a manager and one of my players slid head-first into first base I’d fine them back to the stone age. From Alden Gonzalez:
Angels outfielder Josh Hamilton injured his left thumb while sliding headfirst into first base in the seventh inning at Safeco Field on Tuesday night, an injury that prevented him from batting in a crucial situation in the ninth.
X-rays on Hamilton’s thumb were negative, and he’ll have an MRI today.
Asked after the game about sliding into first, Hamilton said “I shouldn’t have done it, probably, but I’m not going to say I’m not going to do it again because I’d be lying.”
Between Hamilton and Frank Thomas today is shaping up into the ultimate “ballplayers should be seen but not heard” kind of day.
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 4
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 133
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 42
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 371
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (371)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (134)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (88)