Apr 9, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
Some brutal injury news here for the Angels …
As first reported by Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, outfielder Josh Hamilton has been diagnosed with a complete tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb along with a torn capsule. He needs surgery and will be out for 6-8 weeks.
Hamilton suffered the injury Tuesday on an ill-advised head-first slide into the first base bag. He was off to a promising start at the plate this season, boasting a .444 batting average and 1.286 OPS through eight games played. Hamilton had a .548 OPS last April.
J.B. Shuck was called up from Triple-A Salt Lake on Wednesday night to provide outfield depth.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)