Apr 9, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Angels left-hander Sean Burnett began the season on the disabled list while continuing to recover from August elbow surgery and now his attempt to resume a throwing program has been shut down due to more soreness.
Burnett signed a two-year, $8 million deal with the Angels as a free agent two offseasons ago, but was limited to just 13 appearances last year before going under the knife.
In talking to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com about Burnett’s status manager Mike Scioscia did not seem very optimistic:
He’s trying to get over the hump of some residual soreness that pops up here and there. I don’t think you’re at a point of writing anybody off, but there’s certainly a question right know of when he’s going to be back. You can’t count on him until he gets to be 100 percent, and he’s not there yet.
Burnett was one of the best left-handed relievers in the National League before signing with the Angels, throwing 202 innings with a 2.81 ERA in three-and-a-half seasons for the Nationals, but he did have some arm problems even during that strong run.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 7
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 12
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 132
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (132)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)