Apr 9, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Angels left-hander Sean Burnett began the season on the disabled list while continuing to recover from August elbow surgery and now his attempt to resume a throwing program has been shut down due to more soreness.
Burnett signed a two-year, $8 million deal with the Angels as a free agent two offseasons ago, but was limited to just 13 appearances last year before going under the knife.
In talking to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com about Burnett’s status manager Mike Scioscia did not seem very optimistic:
He’s trying to get over the hump of some residual soreness that pops up here and there. I don’t think you’re at a point of writing anybody off, but there’s certainly a question right know of when he’s going to be back. You can’t count on him until he gets to be 100 percent, and he’s not there yet.
Burnett was one of the best left-handed relievers in the National League before signing with the Angels, throwing 202 innings with a 2.81 ERA in three-and-a-half seasons for the Nationals, but he did have some arm problems even during that strong run.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)