Apr 9, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Angels left-hander Sean Burnett began the season on the disabled list while continuing to recover from August elbow surgery and now his attempt to resume a throwing program has been shut down due to more soreness.
Burnett signed a two-year, $8 million deal with the Angels as a free agent two offseasons ago, but was limited to just 13 appearances last year before going under the knife.
In talking to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com about Burnett’s status manager Mike Scioscia did not seem very optimistic:
He’s trying to get over the hump of some residual soreness that pops up here and there. I don’t think you’re at a point of writing anybody off, but there’s certainly a question right know of when he’s going to be back. You can’t count on him until he gets to be 100 percent, and he’s not there yet.
Burnett was one of the best left-handed relievers in the National League before signing with the Angels, throwing 202 innings with a 2.81 ERA in three-and-a-half seasons for the Nationals, but he did have some arm problems even during that strong run.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (219)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)