Apr 9, 2014, 5:14 PM EST
Oswaldo Arcia injured his wrist Friday and tried to convince the Twins he could play through the pain before finally admitting this afternoon that he couldn’t, so Minnesota placed the 23-year-old outfielder on the disabled list.
Darin Mastroianni, who was dropped from the 40-man roster last year, will be re-added to the roster and called up from Triple-A to take Arcia’s spot.
Arcia showed a lot of promise as a rookie last season, hitting 14 homers and 17 doubles in 97 games despite some shaky plate discipline, and the Twins were hoping that he could provide some much-needed power in the middle of the lineup this season.
Josh Willingham is also banged up, so the Twins’ outfield depth is being severely tested right after the team decided to waive presumed fourth outfielder Alex Presley at the end of spring training. He’s now filling a part-time role in Houston and Minnesota is turning to replacement-level talent like Mastroianni and Chris Herrmann.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)