Apr 9, 2014, 5:14 PM EST
Oswaldo Arcia injured his wrist Friday and tried to convince the Twins he could play through the pain before finally admitting this afternoon that he couldn’t, so Minnesota placed the 23-year-old outfielder on the disabled list.
Darin Mastroianni, who was dropped from the 40-man roster last year, will be re-added to the roster and called up from Triple-A to take Arcia’s spot.
Arcia showed a lot of promise as a rookie last season, hitting 14 homers and 17 doubles in 97 games despite some shaky plate discipline, and the Twins were hoping that he could provide some much-needed power in the middle of the lineup this season.
Josh Willingham is also banged up, so the Twins’ outfield depth is being severely tested right after the team decided to waive presumed fourth outfielder Alex Presley at the end of spring training. He’s now filling a part-time role in Houston and Minnesota is turning to replacement-level talent like Mastroianni and Chris Herrmann.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)