Danny Salazar makes history in loss to White Sox

Apr 10, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT

Danny Salazar Getty Getty Images

Indians right-hander Danny Salazar packed a lot into a brief outing in tonight’s 7-3 loss to the White Sox. And he secured an interesting place in history in the process.

Salazar was pulled in the fourth inning at 93 pitches. The hard-throwing 24-year-old gave up five runs on six hits (including home runs by Jose Abreu and Alexei Ramirez) and two walks before exiting. Of the 11 outs that he recorded, 10 of them were via the strikeout. The other was when Adam Eaton was cut down attempting to stretch a single into a double in the bottom of the third inning. The 10 strikeouts matched a career-high.

OK, on to the history part. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Salazar is the first pitcher in the modern era (since 1900) to reach 10 strikeouts in a start under four innings. Seriously. That has never happened before tonight. It’s an interesting footnote, but he’d surely rather have a more efficient outing and the victory.

1. aresachaela - Apr 10, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Got the history record right there!! The “losing” way..

2. Jason Lukehart - Apr 11, 2014 at 12:05 AM

There have only been 6 games in MLB history in which a pitcher struck out at least 9 hitters while going fewer than 4 innings, and Salazar now has 2 of them.

3. straightouttavtown - Apr 11, 2014 at 1:18 AM

The pitcher only has one job: get outs to prevent runs. It doesn’t matter how they do it. Strikeout doesn’t matter. Fastball velocity doesn’t matter. Just get outs. So how is this an accomplishment when he allowed a bunch of runs, lasted less than 4 innings, taxed the bullpen, and lost the game? I know fantasy gamers and sabermetrics fanatics love guys like Salazar but real baseball fans appreciate guys like Mark Buehrle and Tim Hudson so much more.

• bronco58lb - Apr 11, 2014 at 2:09 AM

Salazar is only 12 starts into his career, cut the kid some slack. Coming off Tommy John surgery, Salazar transformed himself from a middle-of-the-road prospect to the Indians’ do-or-die playoff starter last year. A remarkable turnaround for a pitcher who once averaged 5.5 strikeouts per nine innings over 20 starts in a minor league season. I pull for Salazar because he is a player development success story. I admire a guy who fixed serious flaws in his craft and turned into one of the filthiest arms in the majors.

• thisdamnbox - Apr 11, 2014 at 3:44 AM

It’s not necessarily an accomplishment. It’s just never been done before, like most strike outs in a season, most errors in an inning, etc. The records in the book aren’t all positive things considered ‘accomplishments.’ But after only 12 or so starts it might be a sign of greatness to come…or of futility…

• dfj79 - Apr 11, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Who said it was an “accomplishment”? I don’t see that word anywhere in the post, nor do I see anything in the post implying as much. D.J. just said it was “history,” which is accurate. And I think his last sentence made it pretty clear that this wasn’t necessarily a great piece of history to be making.

4. Earnest Christian - Apr 11, 2014 at 1:50 AM

Reblogged this on Earnest Christian presents The OpinioNation | Sports and Pop Culture.

• strictlythedanks - Apr 11, 2014 at 4:12 AM

Christ, that wasn’t very earnest of you was it?

5. sawxalicious - Apr 11, 2014 at 2:15 AM

Everyone knows Twins pitchers aren’t supposed to be striking guys out! Pitch to contact, that’s the rule!

• NatsLady - Apr 11, 2014 at 6:07 AM

Ha. Yeah, McCatty’s rule. Take THAT, McCAT. http://tinyurl.com/mqk2a93

6. janessa31888 - Apr 11, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Sorry, not impressed. The runs he gave up cost us the game.I Don’t get all the hype about this guy. Strike outs are great, if you aren’t giving up large amounts of runs also. What a mistake it was not resigning Kazmir. We really, really need another good consistent starter. Carlos Carrasco is even worse.

• dan1111 - Apr 11, 2014 at 7:10 AM

This record is being pointed out as an interesting bit of trivia, not an impressive accomplishment. Obviously, Salazar’s performance was not good.

That said, high strikeout rates are a strong predictor of future success. And so far, Salazar has had more success than not through 12 starts. I think you are making too much of one outing.

7. gonderfan - Apr 11, 2014 at 12:10 PM

This game almost reminds me of Ron Swoboda’s two two-run-homers beating Steve Carlton 4-3 in Carlton’s record-setting 19-strikeout game in 1969….. Maybe it’s only from being a White Sox fan and an early-Mets fan that I connect the two. I sure remember well Swoboda’s 2nd homer, listening to the St. Louis station from Chicago on my little transistor radio….(I had to wonder at the time, was this game an omen of more great stuff to come from young Carlton?… Okay, just kidding about that.)

8. labfan30 - Apr 11, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I’m just curious about the babip stat. In all, he faced 18 hitters. 10 went down, by K, 2 went to first on walks. Every single guy who put the ball in play, got a hit. His BABIP in two starts now sits at .476.

Think maybe some correction will happen with that soon?

9. janessa31888 - Apr 11, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Sorry to the person I meant to reply to but accidentally hit report. I wish those buttons were farther apart.
    I meant to say, Yes, I overreacted, but its frustrating!!!!

10. moogro - Apr 11, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Fascist!

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3982)