Apr 10, 2014, 11:26 PM EST
Indians right-hander Danny Salazar packed a lot into a brief outing in tonight’s 7-3 loss to the White Sox. And he secured an interesting place in history in the process.
Salazar was pulled in the fourth inning at 93 pitches. The hard-throwing 24-year-old gave up five runs on six hits (including home runs by Jose Abreu and Alexei Ramirez) and two walks before exiting. Of the 11 outs that he recorded, 10 of them were via the strikeout. The other was when Adam Eaton was cut down attempting to stretch a single into a double in the bottom of the third inning. The 10 strikeouts matched a career-high.
OK, on to the history part. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Salazar is the first pitcher in the modern era (since 1900) to reach 10 strikeouts in a start under four innings. Seriously. That has never happened before tonight. It’s an interesting footnote, but he’d surely rather have a more efficient outing and the victory.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (284)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)