Freddie Freeman tempts fate, says pitchers “got nothin’ to get me out with”

Apr 10, 2014, 4:31 PM EST

Chipper Jones is at Turner Field today, and he’s telling reporters what Freddie Freeman told him last night:

That’s pretty cool, Freddie. I see no way in which that will ever come back to haunt you. Because if we’ve learned one thing in baseball history, it’s that batters never slump and pitchers never make adjustments.

In other news:

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: “Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!’
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away”.

– Percy Bysshe Shelley

1. emdash01 - Apr 10, 2014 at 4:34 PM

But I thought Braves fans talk about what a nice modest young man he is! I’m sure everyone will react the same way they would if Puig or Harper said this…

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 10, 2014 at 5:56 PM

It’s not on Freddie. He was talking in confidence to a friend of his. And the friend opened his mouth. Had Freddie said this in the media…then yeah…I would agree with you. But he was merely having a conversation with a friend. A friend who had no business taking that conversation to the media. Of course, no one has ever claimed Larry was the sharpest tool in the shed. In fact, Larry is about as swift as pond water. If I am Freddie…I am punching him in the stomach every time I saw him for the next 6 months or so.

• gostlcards5 - Apr 11, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Totally agree. It would also seem to me that Freddie could be saying that they’re not able to throw pitches to STRIKE him out, i.e. – that he’s seeing and hitting the ball well.

Regardless, Chipper shouldn’t say that to the media….it certainly could give the impression that Freddie is being arrogant.

2. eshine76 - Apr 10, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Chipper is an ass for telling reporters something that Freddie said at Chipper’s house.

• greymares - Apr 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM

You had me at Chipper is an ass.

3. chacochicken - Apr 10, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Chipper then said, “Go home, Freddie, you’re drunk with BABIP.”
    Then they got onto his four-wheeler and rode off into the night like the Caped Crusader and Boy Wonder.

4. clydeserra - Apr 10, 2014 at 4:42 PM

if your confidant is Chipper jones, you have to question your own judgement.

5. gobiggreen - Apr 10, 2014 at 4:52 PM

way to be a jerk Chipper

6. sensiblevoice - Apr 10, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Quoting poetry in a baseball article..what are you guys, Grantland?

• Kevin S. - Apr 10, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Heh. We’re overdue for a “The Most Dangerous Game” quote or reference.

7. blabidibla - Apr 10, 2014 at 5:13 PM

And then Chipper fumed that “No one wanted to play catcher for my ceremonial pitch. Karma bitches!”

8. bigtunany - Apr 10, 2014 at 5:25 PM

On the other hand, Ozymandias turned out to be Ramses the Great, so it may work out for him.

9. captainwisdom8888 - Apr 10, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I agree with those who say Chipper had no right to speak of a private conversation he had with Freeman…unless of course Freddie condoned it. Speaking about pitchers in this manner will undoubtedly bring some chin music Freddie’s way.

I think a fastball wayyy up and in just might “get him out.”

• courtjester1234 - Apr 10, 2014 at 7:17 PM

You mean some sweet chin music that isn’t from his lover Chipper?

10. captainwisdom8888 - Apr 10, 2014 at 5:33 PM

^—I’m going against him in fantasy this week so perhaps that is a bit of wishful thinking—^

11. mreezybreezy - Apr 10, 2014 at 5:37 PM

12. jerze2387 - Apr 10, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Except he’s batting .407 with a .515 obp. So, about half the time, they do have something to get him out actually.

13. kev86 - Apr 10, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I’m a Mets fan and will say Freddie looks great at the plate. Huge lefty with a great swing. I think he could make a run at MVP this year and beyond. I hope the Mets can give the Braves a run for their money next year with our young pitching. I have no problem with Freddie talking a little smack ( pretty mild and funny).

14. cincinata - Apr 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM

It appears to me that this guy is as dumb as a box of rocks. But hey, he may end up hitting .400 for the entire year right? On the other hand, why would Chipper betray a private conversation to the public? They seem to be two peas in the same pod to me. OK now Freddie, point to your head and abbreviate mountain.

15. jss1330 - Apr 10, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Was that before or after he set fire to Old Glory?

16. asimonetti88 - Apr 10, 2014 at 9:58 PM

He’s hitting well and he’s feeling good. Who cares if he says this in private as long as he doesn’t Richard Sherman it and start talking it in the media

17. kicksave1980 - Apr 11, 2014 at 2:27 AM

People are posting paragraph long tirades about Chipper Jones running his mouth without having any knowledge of the context of their conversation. I’m not a Braves fan, but those two seem to be pretty good buddies. Don’t any of you guys get with your friends and say ridiculous/light-hearted things over a beer?

• sprizzle2182 - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:17 AM

ya and ur “buddy” isnt supposed to throw it back in ur face, or to the media the next day

18. sprizzle2182 - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:16 AM

im sorry, but i dont see Freddie saying something like that…he’s always come across as humble and appreciative of everything he’s done in his career…sounds like chipper stirring the pot again…

19. nobs3 - Apr 11, 2014 at 11:33 AM

First of all, that comment is being taken out of context. Freeman wasn’t bragging — he was simply telling Chipper that “Hey — I’m feeling real good right now, and seeing the ball so well that when I go to the plate, I have the confidence that I can hit anything they throw.” I seriously doubt that Freeman actually believes that he’ll go a whole season in that mode. He’s young — but he wasn’t born yesterday.
    Second, it was really STUPID of Chipper to make that statement public. Why didn’t he just say something like, “Freddie told me he’s seeing the ball well right now, and is really confident every time he goes to the plate”??? But telling it as he did makes Freeman’s statement appear confrontational.

Having said that, allow me to express my dislike for the way Braves TV interrupts the coverage of the game while they interview guests — whether it’s the Commissioner, Chipper Jones, Frank Wren, or whomever. The seemingly never-ending interview always takes precedence, and for that time, the game seems secondary. Viewers did NOT tune in to hear Chipper (or whomever). They’d like to watch the game.

20. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 11, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Baseball needs more villains.

21. nomoreliesfortoday - Apr 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM

So a private conversation between friends mean Freddie Freeman is a bad person who doesn’t understand MLB or the world at large.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4277)