Apr 10, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
On Tuesday, Adam Jones offered some colorful comments about fans who rush out onto the field. Specifically? That the league “should let us have a shot to kick them with our metal spikes on,” that a fan who does that “looks like a jackass” that he hoped security would “tase the living s***” out of them and that he wished one fan who ran out onto the field and injured his ankle had shattered his femur instead.
That’s all pretty funny, even if Jones’ suggestions are a bit extreme. But apparently MLB is taking his comments seriously. CBS Baltimore reports that Major League Baseball is said to be “reviewing the comments.”
Which is idiotic, because all they are are comments. Comments that do no harm to anyone. Indeed, even if you looked at them with the utmost suspicion and crafted some argument that Jones’ comments may cause security at ballparks to be too rough on fans, you’d have to square that with the notion that MLB has already shown that it doesn’t care about fans being roughed up or tased for what amounts to trespassing.
If MLB does anything to Adam Jones as a result of these comments, they had better explain what, exactly, he said that is inconsistent with MLB policies or aims that require his punishment.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)