Apr 10, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Adam Jones offered some colorful comments about fans who rush out onto the field. Specifically? That the league “should let us have a shot to kick them with our metal spikes on,” that a fan who does that “looks like a jackass” that he hoped security would “tase the living s***” out of them and that he wished one fan who ran out onto the field and injured his ankle had shattered his femur instead.
That’s all pretty funny, even if Jones’ suggestions are a bit extreme. But apparently MLB is taking his comments seriously. CBS Baltimore reports that Major League Baseball is said to be “reviewing the comments.”
Which is idiotic, because all they are are comments. Comments that do no harm to anyone. Indeed, even if you looked at them with the utmost suspicion and crafted some argument that Jones’ comments may cause security at ballparks to be too rough on fans, you’d have to square that with the notion that MLB has already shown that it doesn’t care about fans being roughed up or tased for what amounts to trespassing.
If MLB does anything to Adam Jones as a result of these comments, they had better explain what, exactly, he said that is inconsistent with MLB policies or aims that require his punishment.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 37
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)