Apr 10, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Adam Jones offered some colorful comments about fans who rush out onto the field. Specifically? That the league “should let us have a shot to kick them with our metal spikes on,” that a fan who does that “looks like a jackass” that he hoped security would “tase the living s***” out of them and that he wished one fan who ran out onto the field and injured his ankle had shattered his femur instead.
That’s all pretty funny, even if Jones’ suggestions are a bit extreme. But apparently MLB is taking his comments seriously. CBS Baltimore reports that Major League Baseball is said to be “reviewing the comments.”
Which is idiotic, because all they are are comments. Comments that do no harm to anyone. Indeed, even if you looked at them with the utmost suspicion and crafted some argument that Jones’ comments may cause security at ballparks to be too rough on fans, you’d have to square that with the notion that MLB has already shown that it doesn’t care about fans being roughed up or tased for what amounts to trespassing.
If MLB does anything to Adam Jones as a result of these comments, they had better explain what, exactly, he said that is inconsistent with MLB policies or aims that require his punishment.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)