Apr 10, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Adam Jones offered some colorful comments about fans who rush out onto the field. Specifically? That the league “should let us have a shot to kick them with our metal spikes on,” that a fan who does that “looks like a jackass” that he hoped security would “tase the living s***” out of them and that he wished one fan who ran out onto the field and injured his ankle had shattered his femur instead.
That’s all pretty funny, even if Jones’ suggestions are a bit extreme. But apparently MLB is taking his comments seriously. CBS Baltimore reports that Major League Baseball is said to be “reviewing the comments.”
Which is idiotic, because all they are are comments. Comments that do no harm to anyone. Indeed, even if you looked at them with the utmost suspicion and crafted some argument that Jones’ comments may cause security at ballparks to be too rough on fans, you’d have to square that with the notion that MLB has already shown that it doesn’t care about fans being roughed up or tased for what amounts to trespassing.
If MLB does anything to Adam Jones as a result of these comments, they had better explain what, exactly, he said that is inconsistent with MLB policies or aims that require his punishment.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)