Apr 10, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt came into last night’s game with ridiculous career numbers against Giants right-hander Tim Lincecum … and then Goldschmidt smacked a three-run homer off the two-time Cy Young winner in an Arizona victory.
Goldschmidt is now 13-for-24 with seven homers and 17 RBIs off Lincecum, which works out to the following numbers:
.542 batting average
1.458 slugging percentage
After the game Goldschmidt tried to downplay the ownership of Lincecum, saying stuff like he’s “lucky” and “it’s never a comfortable at-bat.” Along those same lines, Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea writes:
Last season, when Goldschmidt was making a run at the NL MVP award, a Diamondbacks writer began gathering string for a takeout-length feature on him. The writer told Goldschmidt that he planned to interview Lincecum for the piece. Goldschmidt implored the writer not to do so, saying he didn’t think it would be respectful.
That’s commendable, but the numbers are insane. Goldschmidt has 7 homers in 28 plate appearances off Lincecum compared to 59 homers in 1,494 plate appearances off everyone else, including no more than three homers against any other pitcher.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (135)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)