Apr 10, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt came into last night’s game with ridiculous career numbers against Giants right-hander Tim Lincecum … and then Goldschmidt smacked a three-run homer off the two-time Cy Young winner in an Arizona victory.
Goldschmidt is now 13-for-24 with seven homers and 17 RBIs off Lincecum, which works out to the following numbers:
.542 batting average
1.458 slugging percentage
After the game Goldschmidt tried to downplay the ownership of Lincecum, saying stuff like he’s “lucky” and “it’s never a comfortable at-bat.” Along those same lines, Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea writes:
Last season, when Goldschmidt was making a run at the NL MVP award, a Diamondbacks writer began gathering string for a takeout-length feature on him. The writer told Goldschmidt that he planned to interview Lincecum for the piece. Goldschmidt implored the writer not to do so, saying he didn’t think it would be respectful.
That’s commendable, but the numbers are insane. Goldschmidt has 7 homers in 28 plate appearances off Lincecum compared to 59 homers in 1,494 plate appearances off everyone else, including no more than three homers against any other pitcher.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (173)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (146)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)