Apr 10, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt came into last night’s game with ridiculous career numbers against Giants right-hander Tim Lincecum … and then Goldschmidt smacked a three-run homer off the two-time Cy Young winner in an Arizona victory.
Goldschmidt is now 13-for-24 with seven homers and 17 RBIs off Lincecum, which works out to the following numbers:
.542 batting average
1.458 slugging percentage
After the game Goldschmidt tried to downplay the ownership of Lincecum, saying stuff like he’s “lucky” and “it’s never a comfortable at-bat.” Along those same lines, Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea writes:
Last season, when Goldschmidt was making a run at the NL MVP award, a Diamondbacks writer began gathering string for a takeout-length feature on him. The writer told Goldschmidt that he planned to interview Lincecum for the piece. Goldschmidt implored the writer not to do so, saying he didn’t think it would be respectful.
That’s commendable, but the numbers are insane. Goldschmidt has 7 homers in 28 plate appearances off Lincecum compared to 59 homers in 1,494 plate appearances off everyone else, including no more than three homers against any other pitcher.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)