Apr 11, 2014, 9:50 AM EST
Some scary moments in Salt Lake City yesterday, as Giants minor leaguer Darren Ford had to be transported off the field in an ambulance after diving head first into a concrete wall. Luckily, however, he seems to have avoided what could have been devastating injury. Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com:
Witnesses said Ford, playing for Triple-A Fresno, dived headfirst into a concrete wall in foul ground down the left field line while chasing a fly ball.
Ford’s agent, Joshua Kusnick, relayed on Twitter that the speedy outfielder “never lost consciousness” and was “put on (a) stretcher as a precaution.”
Ford had full movement of his arms and legs, Kusnick reported. Giants vice president Bobby Evans said Ford was diagnosed with a concussion and multiple abrasions, and will get results of other tests on Friday.
There is light padding on the walls, but that’s not going to cushion a running or diving player too terribly much. Thank goodness the worst seems to have been avoided here.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)