Apr 11, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
The Phillies may be in danger of losing another starting pitcher to injury. A.J. Burnett winced after throwing a pitch to Casey McGehee in the top of the fifth inning during Friday night’s start against the Marlins. After walking McGehee to load the bases, the Phillies’ trainer visited Burnett and the right-hander left the game, giving way to reliever Jake Diekman. Diekman was able to escape Burnett’s jam with two strikeouts.
Burnett’s Phillies career has not gotten off to a good start. After a successful debut in red pinstripes, Burnett walked six batters in back-to-back starts including Friday against the Marlins. Prior to the season, the last time Burnett walked six in a game was on July 18, 2011. In total, Burnett has a 3.94 ERA, but has walked 14 and struck out 10 batters in 16 innings.
We should get word on Burnett’s status soon. We’ll update you here.
Update (9:15 PM EST): Burnett exited with groin soreness, per David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News. He was taken out for precautionary reasons.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 23
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 40
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)