Apr 11, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki reports that right-handed pitcher Seth Rosin has cleared waivers and returned to the Phillies. Rosin had joined the Rangers in late March and made his Major League debut on March 31, tossing a scoreless inning against the Phillies. In total, he allowed three runs in four innings for the Rangers before they designated him for assignment to make room for third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff on the roster.
Rosin has had an interesting life over the last four months. The Mets picked him up in the Rule 5 draft from the Phillies in December, then turned right around and sent him to the Dodgers for cash. During spring training, Rosin posted a 1.64 ERA in 11 innings for the Dodgers and traveled with the club to Australia to open up the season against the Diamondbacks. After returning to the United States, the Dodgers put him on waivers near the end of March, which is when the Rangers grabbed him. Now he has come full circle and returned to the Phillies, who acquired Rosin in the trade that sent Hunter Pence to the Giants in July 2012.
Rosin will report to Triple-A Lehigh Valley. Though Mike Adams is nearing a return, there is a chance Rosin could join the big league club, as the Phillies’ bullpen has been a shambles to start the season.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $30,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday evening MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 9
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 26
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (91)