Apr 11, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
This is about as friggin’ rich as it gets. Former Tiger pitcher Denny McLain went on talk radio and ripped the current Tigers closer Joe Nathan for battling with a case of dead arm recently:
McLain joined Fred Heumann on Mad Dog in the Morning Thursday and ripped into Nathan.
“What the hell is a dead arm? Can you tell me please?” asked McLain, baseball’s last 30-game winner.
“Get a shot of cortisone, put a little dirt on it, Joe, kick yourself in the ass and get out there. I am tired of excuses. Everybody’s got an excuse in this game today. Get dressed, go play. They’re paying you tens of millions of dollars to play the game and you want to come up with a dead arm?”
Denny McLain was basically washed up after he turned 25 years old, in part due to his off-the-field foolishness, but mostly because of severe arm trouble. Arm trouble that was exacerbated, it was reported, by excessive cortisone injections. He was completely out of baseball by age 29. Or, when he was ten years younger than Nathan is now.
Nathan is only 13 years younger than McLain was when he was convicted of of embezzlement, mail fraud, and conspiracy for raiding the pension fund of the meat-packing company he and his buddies bought.
(thanks to Mark Armour for the heads up)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 61
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 20
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 24
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 94
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)