Apr 11, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
This is about as friggin’ rich as it gets. Former Tiger pitcher Denny McLain went on talk radio and ripped the current Tigers closer Joe Nathan for battling with a case of dead arm recently:
McLain joined Fred Heumann on Mad Dog in the Morning Thursday and ripped into Nathan.
“What the hell is a dead arm? Can you tell me please?” asked McLain, baseball’s last 30-game winner.
“Get a shot of cortisone, put a little dirt on it, Joe, kick yourself in the ass and get out there. I am tired of excuses. Everybody’s got an excuse in this game today. Get dressed, go play. They’re paying you tens of millions of dollars to play the game and you want to come up with a dead arm?”
Denny McLain was basically washed up after he turned 25 years old, in part due to his off-the-field foolishness, but mostly because of severe arm trouble. Arm trouble that was exacerbated, it was reported, by excessive cortisone injections. He was completely out of baseball by age 29. Or, when he was ten years younger than Nathan is now.
Nathan is only 13 years younger than McLain was when he was convicted of of embezzlement, mail fraud, and conspiracy for raiding the pension fund of the meat-packing company he and his buddies bought.
(thanks to Mark Armour for the heads up)
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 38
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 51
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)