Apr 11, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
This is about as friggin’ rich as it gets. Former Tiger pitcher Denny McLain went on talk radio and ripped the current Tigers closer Joe Nathan for battling with a case of dead arm recently:
McLain joined Fred Heumann on Mad Dog in the Morning Thursday and ripped into Nathan.
“What the hell is a dead arm? Can you tell me please?” asked McLain, baseball’s last 30-game winner.
“Get a shot of cortisone, put a little dirt on it, Joe, kick yourself in the ass and get out there. I am tired of excuses. Everybody’s got an excuse in this game today. Get dressed, go play. They’re paying you tens of millions of dollars to play the game and you want to come up with a dead arm?”
Denny McLain was basically washed up after he turned 25 years old, in part due to his off-the-field foolishness, but mostly because of severe arm trouble. Arm trouble that was exacerbated, it was reported, by excessive cortisone injections. He was completely out of baseball by age 29. Or, when he was ten years younger than Nathan is now.
Nathan is only 13 years younger than McLain was when he was convicted of of embezzlement, mail fraud, and conspiracy for raiding the pension fund of the meat-packing company he and his buddies bought.
(thanks to Mark Armour for the heads up)
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 19
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 43
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- Royals acquire ace Johnny Cueto from the Reds 71
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)