Apr 11, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
This is about as friggin’ rich as it gets. Former Tiger pitcher Denny McLain went on talk radio and ripped the current Tigers closer Joe Nathan for battling with a case of dead arm recently:
McLain joined Fred Heumann on Mad Dog in the Morning Thursday and ripped into Nathan.
“What the hell is a dead arm? Can you tell me please?” asked McLain, baseball’s last 30-game winner.
“Get a shot of cortisone, put a little dirt on it, Joe, kick yourself in the ass and get out there. I am tired of excuses. Everybody’s got an excuse in this game today. Get dressed, go play. They’re paying you tens of millions of dollars to play the game and you want to come up with a dead arm?”
Denny McLain was basically washed up after he turned 25 years old, in part due to his off-the-field foolishness, but mostly because of severe arm trouble. Arm trouble that was exacerbated, it was reported, by excessive cortisone injections. He was completely out of baseball by age 29. Or, when he was ten years younger than Nathan is now.
Nathan is only 13 years younger than McLain was when he was convicted of of embezzlement, mail fraud, and conspiracy for raiding the pension fund of the meat-packing company he and his buddies bought.
(thanks to Mark Armour for the heads up)
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)