Apr 11, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
This is about as friggin’ rich as it gets. Former Tiger pitcher Denny McLain went on talk radio and ripped the current Tigers closer Joe Nathan for battling with a case of dead arm recently:
McLain joined Fred Heumann on Mad Dog in the Morning Thursday and ripped into Nathan.
“What the hell is a dead arm? Can you tell me please?” asked McLain, baseball’s last 30-game winner.
“Get a shot of cortisone, put a little dirt on it, Joe, kick yourself in the ass and get out there. I am tired of excuses. Everybody’s got an excuse in this game today. Get dressed, go play. They’re paying you tens of millions of dollars to play the game and you want to come up with a dead arm?”
Denny McLain was basically washed up after he turned 25 years old, in part due to his off-the-field foolishness, but mostly because of severe arm trouble. Arm trouble that was exacerbated, it was reported, by excessive cortisone injections. He was completely out of baseball by age 29. Or, when he was ten years younger than Nathan is now.
Nathan is only 13 years younger than McLain was when he was convicted of of embezzlement, mail fraud, and conspiracy for raiding the pension fund of the meat-packing company he and his buddies bought.
(thanks to Mark Armour for the heads up)
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 20
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 65
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)