Apr 11, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Freddy Galvis is off the disabled list and back on the Phillies’ active roster after being sidelined since the middle of spring training with a staph infection in his knee.
Galvis had an abscess removed from his left knee on March 19 and was supposed to return to action a few days later, but it got infected and he was later diagnosed with Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, and Cody Asche (and Ryan Howard too) are locked in as the Phillies’ starting infielders, so the light-hitting Galvis figures to fill a utility man role. Philadelphia sent Cesar Hernandez back to Double-A to make room for his return.
- Cliff Lee exits start with apparent arm injury 0
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 125
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)