Apr 11, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat reports that starter Jake Arrieta will need at least one more rehab start with Double-A Tennessee before rejoining the Cubs’ rotation. Arrieta showed up to spring training with a sore shoulder and has been behind schedule ever since.
Arrieta has made two rehab starts to date. On April 5, he allowed an unearned run in three innings of work. On Thursday, he tossed 3 2/3 innings of shutout baseball, striking out four and walking two.
Muskat said Cubs manager Rick Renteria received positive reports on Arrieta’s Thursday start. Once Arrieta is healthy enough to rejoin the rotation, he’ll displace Carlos Villanueva.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 35
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (244)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)