Jose Abreu literally knocked the cover off a baseball

Apr 11, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT

Jose Abreu hit two homers last night. He also hit two homers on Wednesday, so yeah, the dude has some serious power. But those four homers weren’t the most impressive thing he has done over the past couple of days. This is:

source: AP

Yep, Abreu literally knocked the cover off the baseball. That came on a foul ball, not one of the homers. And I don’t care if there was something wrong with the baseball or if this happens more than we think or whatever. I am choosing to believe that Abreu is from another planet of baseball-abusing robots.

And he is quickly becoming someone I watch a game for simply to see him hit.

1. aresachaela - Apr 11, 2014 at 9:24 AM

He’s bat is on STEROIDS!! Check it now!!

• renaado - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Jeez Ares… I’ve been gone for just half a day today, and your already making some crazy statements here…

• aresachaela - Apr 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Oh Ren! Congrats on the 2.3 gen avg today :-), have you checked my results also while your there? 8-).

• renaado - Apr 11, 2014 at 11:06 AM

…Yeah I guess… Just message me at FB not here.. You better think first then type later here though, cause your statements are seriously ridiculous.

• aresachaela - Apr 11, 2014 at 11:10 AM

What!? No they’re not!! 8-(.

• renaado - Apr 11, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Riiiigggghhtt….

2. aceshigh11 - Apr 11, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Shades of Roy Hobbs right there.

• jeffa43 - Apr 11, 2014 at 3:09 PM

It did not start raining until after he hit the ball..

3. tysonpunchinguterus - Apr 11, 2014 at 9:39 AM

I think you may be on to something with the alien robot theory. He was sent here much like a Terminator by a race of planet-conquering aliens whose only weakness is a leather-covered sphere thrown with great speed from a short distance. While Abreu goes to work on figuring out how to dismantle the ball with his wooden stick, the aliens are abducting young pitchers in their sleep and slicing their elbow ligaments. Joaquin Phoenix might be our only hope in this war.

• thedoubleentandres - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Im going a little off topic here but do you ever wonder why skynet didn’t send back like 10 or 20 terminators at a time? Arrogance? Can machines suffer from hubris?

• ltzep75 - Apr 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Budget cuts.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 11, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Treating this question from a story perspective. I got the impression in Kyle Resse’s recounting that the entire time-travel episode started just as Skynet was defeated in the future.

They had smashed the defensive grid and captured the lab. It’s quite possible that Skynet was only able to send just the one terminator into the past before being overwhelmed. Of course that only jives with the original script. Once you factor in T2 then it makes little sense.

4. historiophiliac - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Punks are so wasteful. Ruins a perfectly good baseball. Kids today think money grows on trees.

5. Jason @ IIATMS - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Looks like UCL ligaments have the same tensile strength as the thread in baseballs.

6. DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Was Michael Pineda pitching?

7. paperlions - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:24 AM

The cover is still on that baseball. Yeah, it is torn, but that is not the same thing as not having a cover.

Is there a video of this? I’m not saying that he didn’t hit the ball hard, I’m sure he did, but I am also sure that the visible damage was a result of what the foul ball hit.

• rbj1 - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Yeah, there’s literally a hole in that ball but the cover is not literally off the ball. Craig likes being pedantic, so we get to be so here.

8. Old Gator - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM

This was a blown opportunity to see if there really was juice in the ball. In order to perforate one just to test it, the Player’s Union demands that you get a warrant.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 11, 2014 at 2:34 PM

No too late, see the rupture? All the juice would have gone out and evaporated by the time you collected it for evidence.

9. temporarilyexiled - Apr 11, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Harmball Talk

10. bobdira - Apr 11, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Saw this happen one other time. Dave Parker hit a line drive to center that when it got out of the infield started to look like it wasn’t a baseball. Cool stuff.

11. stlouis1baseball - Apr 11, 2014 at 11:58 AM

My Father always told me he would buy me a dirt bike if I ever knocked the cover off the ball.
    I never did get that dirt bike.

12. weaselpuppy - Apr 11, 2014 at 2:04 PM

we see ya big fella.

13. thomas844 - Apr 11, 2014 at 2:11 PM

“It must be an omen…”

“All’s it means is that we can’t play no more!”

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2972)