Apr 11, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
With starter Matt Moore on the shelf after tearing his ulnar collateral ligament, Rays manager Joe Maddon says Cesar Ramos will move out of the bullpen to start on Sunday, per Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. Topkin adds that it sounds like veteran lefty Erik Bedard will be called up from Triple-A Durham.
Ramos, 29, has allowed one run in four innings to start the 2014 season. He was one of the Rays’ best relievers in 2012, but ran into some struggles last season, finishing with a 4.14 ERA in 67 1/3 innings. His strikeout rate dropped from 24 percent to 18 percent.
Bedard, 35, finished with a 4.59 ERA in 151 innings spanning 26 starts and six relief appearances last season for the Astros. The Rays signed him to a minor league deal in February, released him after he had ugly results in spring training, then re-signed him to a minor league deal at the end of March, sending him to Triple-A Durham. In his first start with the Bulls, Bedard allowed one run in four innings, striking out five and walking one.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)