Ryan Howard thinks the Phillies have “actually played very well this year”

Apr 11, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

Ryan Howard, apparently watching the 2008 Phillies in his head while everyone else has been watching the 2014 version:

“In all actuality we’ve actually played very well this year. I disagree with everybody else. Our record doesn’t necessarily reflect that right now, but, you know, we’ve played well. We had three real bad games. So the only thing to do is go out there and try to win again.”

The Phillies, in last place in the NL East, have committed ten errors in nine games. Howard himself committed an error that led to the Brewers’ go-ahead run on Wednesday night. Their pitchers are ranked 26th in opponents’ batting average.

1. aresachaela - Apr 11, 2014 at 8:57 AM

LMAO!! Think again…

2. gothapotamus90210 - Apr 11, 2014 at 9:03 AM

In the NL, 7th in hitting, 13th in pitching and fielding.

4 QS in 9 games. Starting pitchers 4.50/1.52 ERA & WHIP. Bullpen 5.40/1.46 ERA & WHIP.

.736 OPS with RISP, opponents’ at .985.

The lone bright spot has been Utley, who missed two games with the flu.

Ryan, the Phillies have played terrible. Really looking forward to attending Saturday’s game.

• spudchukar - Apr 11, 2014 at 2:37 PM

And while it is true that 6 of Philadelphia’s first nine games have been on the road, they have played Texas, Chicago (as in Cubs), not that, that distinction matters much, and Milwaukee. The Brewers are 7-2, although that ought to have an asterisks next to the record, cause they have played the Pheelies thrice, the Cubs, are 3-6 with two of those wins against Philadephia, and triaged 4-5 Texas squad who also defeated them twice.

If this is an example of “playing very well”, what exactly are the Pheelies going to look like when they go into a slump?

3. karlkolchak - Apr 11, 2014 at 9:12 AM

“I disagree with everybody else.”

You know who else does that? Those crazy dudes who drive around in beat up old trucks that have every inch of surface spray painted with the messages that are receiving through their aluminum foil caps.

4. commonsenseisnotcmonman - Apr 11, 2014 at 9:26 AM

In Ryan’s defense, the Phillies did play well enough to sweep the series at the Rangers before the bullpen blew it.
    They won the Cubs series 2-1.
    They played terrible in all 3 games against the Brew Crew.

I can sorta see where he is coming from, but overall the team is “who we thought they were”.

• jwbiii - Apr 11, 2014 at 12:05 PM

The Phillies are playing well, in the sense that they are meeting expectations.

5. weeniss - Apr 11, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Says the most overrated player in baseball…

• gothapotamus90210 - Apr 11, 2014 at 9:54 AM

I don’t think he’s overrated. Nobody is trumping up his abilities. Overpayed, yes … but arguably not even the most overpayed.

• dan1111 - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I agree he’s not overrated, but who is more overpaid than he is? Over the last two seasons, he was paid $40,000,000 to play in about half the games, at below replacement level. His contract looks about as bad as any going forward. Maybe Cabrera, Cano, or Pujols will be worse at the tail ends of their contracts, but overall I would take any of those over Howard.

6. DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 11, 2014 at 9:52 AM

So little material these days, CC….

• El Bravo - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:06 AM

You kidding? CC doesn’t even have to troll any longer. The Phillies are now literally trolling for us.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I don’t think people will get worked up either way about a ball player saying his team is actually playing better than there record indicates. Especially considering you are a club house pariah if you say “I think we have played as bad as our record indicates”

Compare that to “Without injuries we would have won the division”, or any other choice quotes of the past half decade

• dan1111 - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:53 AM

@Delaware, there are plenty of cases of players saying “We have played poorly, we need to improve”, and so on. It is not defeatist but encourages the team to get better. Howard’s comments are not the worst ever made, but they do sound a bit out of touch with reality.

• stex52 - Apr 11, 2014 at 11:49 AM

One of my favorite traits of the Phans. And several Phans are friends of mine. You just have to throw something in to get them started and they troll themselves. Kind of fun to watch.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 11, 2014 at 11:51 AM

@dan – I don’t disagree, and on most days that is what Howard says.

My overall “cheeky” point was that this is tough to make a rhubarb over compared to material from years gone by

7. AlmostForty - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:11 AM

It’s just sad.

• aresachaela - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:20 AM

:-(

8. psukardi - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:12 AM

He would have been better off going with the “It’s early in the season. If a team goes on a slight losing streak or a guy goes cold in August no one cares……We’re better than our record.”

9. toodrunktotastethischicken - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:14 AM

I would LOVE to eat my own words and be proven wrong. But at this point I’m just looking forward to a high draft pick in 2015.

10. tvguy22 - Apr 11, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Gosh, who saw this coming? Oh wait, everybody except for Ruin Tomorrow, Junior.

11. carpi2 - Apr 11, 2014 at 11:31 AM

As a Phillies fan, I can only home the old adage, “things get the darkest before dawn,” rings true for my team. It really can’t get much worse than the last few years, right?

• stex52 - Apr 11, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I don’t know. Been the Houston lately?

• umrguy42 - Apr 11, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Not to rub it in, but the Pirates’ (recently ended) 20 years of futility is waving at you from the corner ;p

• nbjays - Apr 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I dunno… ask a Cubs fan…

12. shaggytoodle - Apr 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Well if he I right then the Brewers are going to be pretty tough this season.

13. cohnjusack - Apr 11, 2014 at 12:28 PM

BONUS: The comments section in the link contain the single greatest comment thread I’ve ever read!

Professor1982 • 15 hours ago
    He’s drinkin’ the same koolaide that Obama and his minions are drinkin’.

AreaMan Professor1982 • 15 hours ago
    That’s just a stupid comment.

Professor1982 AreaMan • 15 hours ago
    According to who…you?

AreaMan Professor1982 • 15 hours ago
    Yes, according to me. It’s a stupid comment. But I am sure other people agree.

Professor1982 AreaMan • 15 hours ago
    Is that why one person has already given my statement a thumbs up?

AreaMan Professor1982 • 15 hours ago
    That person likes stupid comments.

Professor1982 AreaMan • 15 hours ago
    Are you sure?

AreaMan Professor1982 • 15 hours ago
    You spelled Kool Aid wrong too. It’s not “koolaide”. That’s something that would help people be kool.

Professor1982 AreaMan • 15 hours ago
    Weak.

AreaMan Professor1982 • 15 hours ago
    I have to keep them weak for you. It’s so you can follow along.

Professor1982 AreaMan • 15 hours ago
    Right. I’ll be sure to remember that.

PhillySubsMac Professor1982 • 14 hours ago
    Then I’m another who’d call yours a stupid comment. I’m a republican but there’s still no need to drag politics kicking and screaming into sports matters. And you further made yourself irrelevant by misspelling Kool Aid. Be sure to remember that, too.

bigmyc Professor1982 • 14 hours ago
    It’s stupid according to the Laws of What Makes Stupid Statements Stupid, stupid. How do politics find their way into frank talk about the Phillies and their start to the season?

vituperator bigmyc • an hour ago
    I’m not prepared to call the professor stupid. Obviously, however, he’s a simpleton and a nincompoop.

14. brandonmauk - Apr 11, 2014 at 12:47 PM

If you expect athletes to be brutally honest about their performance, you might be looking for a while. The Phillies will probably be bad again, but they don’t have Hamels back yet, so you never know

15. drs76109 - Apr 11, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I’d rather “stand pat” than “ruin tomorrow”, Junior….

(and maybe Larry Bowa/Ryne Sandberg now have buyer’s remorse?)

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3768)