Scott Feldman blanks the Rangers days after the passing of his father

Apr 11, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT

Scott Feldman Scott Feldman

Scott Feldman turned in an early contender for the feel-good story of the year. As Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle writes, Feldman lost his father to brain cancer earlier this week and did not travel with the team to Toronto. However, he decided to make his scheduled start on Friday night against the Rangers. Feldman said his father would have been upset if he had skipped the outing.

The Astros are happy he showed up. Feldman held the Rangers scoreless over seven innings, going toe-to-toe with Yu Darvish. Darvish flirted with a perfect game entering the sixth inning, even. Overall, Feldman allowed two hits and walked four while striking out three. The 31-year-old right-hander now has an 0.44 ERA on the season in 20 2/3 innings over three starts.

1. renaado - Apr 11, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Everything happens for a reason. Awesome pitching there Scott!

2. robertb655 - Apr 11, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Way to go Scott! He would be proud.

3. historiophiliac - Apr 11, 2014 at 11:59 PM

This reminds me of when Scherzer’s brother died. He went ahead and pitched and had a great game. You have to have serious focus for that. No start can really ease your grief, but perhaps it gives them a bit of a break.

• dawgpoundmember - Apr 12, 2014 at 12:10 AM

I was thinking the same thing as I read this story. Normalcy is the best cure for grief.

On a side note, I would like to see Scherzer’s stats before and after that start for his career. I feel like that is the start where he became “his heterochomies?” Spelling?

• renaado - Apr 12, 2014 at 12:20 AM

“Heterochromia”.

• historiophiliac - Apr 12, 2014 at 12:21 AM

His Heterochromianess, y’all!

4. thekingdave - Apr 12, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Love this Evan Drellich guy. About time we had a good beat writer.

5. beefytrout - Apr 12, 2014 at 12:39 AM

I was impressed with him tonight before reading this article. Giving him a ton of respect now.

6. elpendejo59 - Apr 12, 2014 at 1:44 AM

Man, I can’t even imagine how I could deal with losing my pops, let alone pitching shortly after. On top of it, pitching a gem. Im thrilled for him. Count me a new Scott Feldman fan.

7. Earnest Christian - Apr 12, 2014 at 2:00 AM

Reblogged this on Earnest Christian presents The OpinioNation | Sports and Pop Culture.

8. cur'68 - Apr 12, 2014 at 7:53 AM

He would have been proud to see his boy. A sad loss.

9. zdravit - Apr 12, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Classy move by the Rangers, letting him shut them down so he’d feel better. Did they at least pretend like they were trying?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3010)