Apr 11, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Before yesterday Trevor Bauer had been a mess in the majors, walking 29 batters in 33 career innings, but the former No. 3 overall pick tossed six impressive innings against the Padres to show that he might be back on track.
Bauer racked up eight strikeouts and, perhaps more importantly, issued just two walks in allowing one earned run over six innings. He was demoted back to Triple-A immediately after the game, but that was expected because the 23-year-old right-hander was only added to the roster temporarily as a 26th man for yesterday’s doubleheader.
However, if Bauer can consistently throw strikes he’ll be back in Cleveland to stay soon enough and his raw stuff has always been top-of-the-rotation caliber. Yesterday he averaged 95 miles per hour with his fastball and showed off an effective enough assortment of off-speed pitches to be very dangerous.
Bauer’s stock has dipped of late–which is part of how the Indians were able to get him from the Diamondbacks last year–but he was the No. 3 pick in 2011 and rated as a consensus top-20 prospect this time last year. Could be a helluva midseason addition for Cleveland’s rotation.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 44
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 57
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 45
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)