Apr 11, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Before yesterday Trevor Bauer had been a mess in the majors, walking 29 batters in 33 career innings, but the former No. 3 overall pick tossed six impressive innings against the Padres to show that he might be back on track.
Bauer racked up eight strikeouts and, perhaps more importantly, issued just two walks in allowing one earned run over six innings. He was demoted back to Triple-A immediately after the game, but that was expected because the 23-year-old right-hander was only added to the roster temporarily as a 26th man for yesterday’s doubleheader.
However, if Bauer can consistently throw strikes he’ll be back in Cleveland to stay soon enough and his raw stuff has always been top-of-the-rotation caliber. Yesterday he averaged 95 miles per hour with his fastball and showed off an effective enough assortment of off-speed pitches to be very dangerous.
Bauer’s stock has dipped of late–which is part of how the Indians were able to get him from the Diamondbacks last year–but he was the No. 3 pick in 2011 and rated as a consensus top-20 prospect this time last year. Could be a helluva midseason addition for Cleveland’s rotation.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)