Apr 11, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Before yesterday Trevor Bauer had been a mess in the majors, walking 29 batters in 33 career innings, but the former No. 3 overall pick tossed six impressive innings against the Padres to show that he might be back on track.
Bauer racked up eight strikeouts and, perhaps more importantly, issued just two walks in allowing one earned run over six innings. He was demoted back to Triple-A immediately after the game, but that was expected because the 23-year-old right-hander was only added to the roster temporarily as a 26th man for yesterday’s doubleheader.
However, if Bauer can consistently throw strikes he’ll be back in Cleveland to stay soon enough and his raw stuff has always been top-of-the-rotation caliber. Yesterday he averaged 95 miles per hour with his fastball and showed off an effective enough assortment of off-speed pitches to be very dangerous.
Bauer’s stock has dipped of late–which is part of how the Indians were able to get him from the Diamondbacks last year–but he was the No. 3 pick in 2011 and rated as a consensus top-20 prospect this time last year. Could be a helluva midseason addition for Cleveland’s rotation.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 3
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)