Apr 11, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Before yesterday Trevor Bauer had been a mess in the majors, walking 29 batters in 33 career innings, but the former No. 3 overall pick tossed six impressive innings against the Padres to show that he might be back on track.
Bauer racked up eight strikeouts and, perhaps more importantly, issued just two walks in allowing one earned run over six innings. He was demoted back to Triple-A immediately after the game, but that was expected because the 23-year-old right-hander was only added to the roster temporarily as a 26th man for yesterday’s doubleheader.
However, if Bauer can consistently throw strikes he’ll be back in Cleveland to stay soon enough and his raw stuff has always been top-of-the-rotation caliber. Yesterday he averaged 95 miles per hour with his fastball and showed off an effective enough assortment of off-speed pitches to be very dangerous.
Bauer’s stock has dipped of late–which is part of how the Indians were able to get him from the Diamondbacks last year–but he was the No. 3 pick in 2011 and rated as a consensus top-20 prospect this time last year. Could be a helluva midseason addition for Cleveland’s rotation.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)